True Street Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
My shit always works sometimes
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well... what happens when you have great oil pressure but for some reason you may not have enough oil pressure getting to the rod and main bearings? (see pics) the bottom end let go at about 7k... motor was down on power and we were not sure why.. now we know why.. anywho.. we are putting the new, new motor together my engine builder is top notch and is stepping up to help out on the re-build etc.. looks like an oil issue to the rod bearings once #6 got hot enough it broke the H-beam rod and destroyed the bottom of the motor.. putting #6 piston thru the cylinder wall after it broke the connecting rod and pin out of the piston.. anywho..also took out a rocker arm, a solid roller lifter, the cam, a pushrod, the crank, the block as you can see, 1 intake valve, and 8 ex. valves.. and some odds and ends.. (1bad4dr) i feel your pain.. (in the wallet that is):drunk: should have the new mill in about a month or so.. trying to make it to a No Bull this year.. wish me luck! i could use it..:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
you know you want me!!!
1,774 Posts
man that sucks to hear.

·
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
5th Gear
7,052 Posts
Im no professional, but I would say thats pretty FUCKED. :lol:

·
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wow that blows bro.. good luck with next build
Thanks man, chit happens,, just glad the builder is helping out.. :thumbsup:

·
LSX EVERYTHING
7,517 Posts
Was this that Aluminum block? That sucks man, seems like a lot of people are having bad luck with new motors lately. What do you think caused the oil pressure to be low down there? Maybe a blockage in the oil galley or something? That's weird that your gauge read good pressure when there wasn't. I thought the oil pump pumps through the bottom end before anything else... Hope you get her running soon with out hurting that wallet to bad!!

·
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Was this that Aluminum block? That sucks man, seems like a lot of people are having bad luck with new motors lately. What do you think caused the oil pressure to be low down there? Maybe a blockage in the oil galley or something? That's weird that your gauge read good pressure when there wasn't. I thought the oil pump pumps through the bottom end before anything else... Hope you get her running soon with out hurting that wallet to bad!!

lol.. not aluminum.. :lol: just looked it..

not sure what caused it it's really to trashed to be able to tell what let go first.. however, two other bearings were about to let go so my guess is not enough oil pressure to the rods.. it'll be up and going soon.. ordered all the new parts today.. new block is already being machined.. prolly take 30 days to get everthing back the way it was (or maybe better :secret:)

:thumbsup: thanks for the well wishz

·
LSX EVERYTHING
7,517 Posts
lol.. not aluminum.. :lol: just looked it..

not sure what caused it it's really to trashed to be able to tell what let go first.. however, two other bearings were about to let go so my guess is not enough oil pressure to the rods.. it'll be up and going soon.. ordered all the new parts today.. new block is already being machined.. prolly take 30 days to get everthing back the way it was (or maybe better :secret:)

:thumbsup: thanks for the well wishz
Sneaky little bastard!!! I would of thought you would be a bit angrier if this was a $4000 block. lol

And damn you be workin fast these days!!! :twocents::twocents::twocents:

·
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Sneaky little bastard!!! I would of thought you would be a bit angrier if this was a $4000 block. lol

And damn you be workin fast these days!!! :twocents::twocents::twocents:

well i'm not really happy about the situation.. if that accounts for anything.. but it is what it is.. :thumbsup: give me a couple weeks and we'll take another shot at it.. lol:headbang: the new wheels and brakes will just have to wait a few months... kinda needs to be able to move before it needs to stop and look better..

·
faster than a speeding bullet
928 Posts
well... what happens when you have great oil pressure but for some reason you may not have enough oil pressure getting to the rod and main bearings? (see pics) the bottom end let go at about 7k... motor was down on power and we were not sure why.. now we know why.. anywho.. we are putting the new, new motor together my engine builder is top notch and is stepping up to help out on the re-build etc.. looks like an oil issue to the rod bearings once #6 got hot enough it broke the H-beam rod and destroyed the bottom of the motor.. putting #6 piston thru the cylinder wall after it broke the connecting rod and pin out of the piston.. anywho..also took out a rocker arm, a solid roller lifter, the cam, a pushrod, the crank, the block as you can see, 1 intake valve, and 8 ex. valves.. and some odds and ends.. (1bad4dr) i feel your pain.. (in the wallet that is):drunk: should have the new mill in about a month or so.. trying to make it to a No Bull this year.. wish me luck! i could use it..:thumbsup:
drink 2 beers and call me in the morning . :drunk::drunk: ouuuch

·
Registered
706 Posts
Damn Scott, sorry to see this, what clearence did you have? I'm sure you know that pressure without flow starves the bearings the same as low or no oil pressure, did the bearing spin, did the big ends turn blue?

·
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Damn Scott, sorry to see this, what clearence did you have? I'm sure you know that pressure without flow starves the bearings the same as low or no oil pressure, did the bearing spin, did the big ends turn blue?

The clearence on all the rods were good.. the mains were a lil' tighter than he would have liked but,, not in excess.. there were three rods with bearing letting go.. the only one that broke looked like the bearing grabbed and then the rod was hot enough to turn black.. and broke.. and that is the cylinder your looking at #6 in the pic.. but,, all the new stuff is on the way.. just at the mercy of the shipping company's now.. the new block is machined and ready to go.. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts