True Street Car Forums banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Almost no fight is a "for sure" thing. That's one of the most basic lessons UFC shows us.

I think Dos Santos is a very good fighter. And he's young. However, Overeem is every bit as good - and on top of that, far more experienced, with a 25 lb weight advantage over Dos Santos.

If I were betting, I'd bet on black. ;)

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Overeem hasn't faught anyone at heavyweight look at his fight record... last good fighter the reem faught was liddel and overeem got put to sleep. Since then he's faught all the strikforce heavyweights who couldn't make it in the ufc... if you watch the post fight press conference dana white says" I thought brock was gonna beat overeem" Brock isn't the same fighter that first stepped in the cage at ufc 81 and he showed that in his last three fights starting at ufc 116 when he squeaked by carwin. I think that illness really effected him as a person ruining the possiblity of him reaching his full potential to be a great fighter. Overeem is gonna have size on JDS but I don't see overeem winning the title in the ufc heavyweight division anytime soon

·
Registered
967 Posts
Overeem hasn't faught anyone at heavyweight look at his fight record... last good fighter the reem faught was liddel and overeem got put to sleep. Since then he's faught all the strikforce heavyweights who couldn't make it in the ufc... if you watch the post fight press conference dana white says" I thought brock was gonna beat overeem" Brock isn't the same fighter that first stepped in the cage at ufc 81 and he showed that in his last three fights starting at ufc 116 when he squeaked by carwin. I think that illness really effected him as a person ruining the possiblity of him reaching his full potential to be a great fighter. Overeem is gonna have size on JDS but I don't see overeem winning the title in the ufc heavyweight division anytime soon
I dont think its fair to say that a fighter isnt an elite fighter just because he doesnt fight in the UFC. There are many fighters that are very capable of competing with the top guys in the ufc, if not beating them. So to say that Overeem hasn't fought anyone simply because his resume isnt composed of household names, is a bit ignorant.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I dont think its fair to say that a fighter isnt an elite fighter just because he doesnt fight in the UFC. There are many fighters that are very capable of competing with the top guys in the ufc, if not beating them. So to say that Overeem hasn't fought anyone simply because his resume isnt composed of household names, is a bit ignorant.
This.

The venue or sanctioning body is not what determines how skilled or how tough a person is.

He already proved that by being a K1 fighter stepping into UFC and dominating Lesnar.

Flip it around the other way - how tough would some of the UFC fighters be if they went to another sanctioning body and had to play by their rules (without grappling) - professional boxing, K1, muay thai? I would think the very fighters praised as "the best ever" because they are skilled at BJJ would probably get beat because MANY of them can't strike for shit.

That's kinda one of the reasons I never got into BJJ...I admittedly am not good on the ground, my background (except for high school wrestling) was all striking (american boxing, muay thai). But I think it says a lot to come from a discipline with more limits, expand, and still be successful. It would be easier to learn less (ie, go from MMA where you at least know SOME basics of strikes and kicks, plus the groundwork), and simply drop the groundwork and refine the strikes.

Learning the ground work from scratch takes years.

I guess that's why I still prefer to watch KB or american boxing...sometimes watching two sweaty men in an extended hug on the ground really kills the action for me. :gay:

·
Doesnt know jack shit
3,680 Posts
Overeem hasn't faught anyone at heavyweight look at his fight record... last good fighter the reem faught was liddel and overeem got put to sleep.
Really?? look at his last 5 fights...Lesnor, Werdum, Duffe, Rodgers,Thompson...granted Duffe and Thompson arent well know, he destroyed them! hes also a very accomplished fighter that has a great ground game and I think will surprise many...he's a beast that walks around at 260+ but in incredible shape, He will be very hard to beat, and I think will be the first Strikeforce/UFC/K-1 champ. all at the same time...

61 - 68 of 68 Posts