True Street Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Suck It Sucka
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so im trying to fix my problem with my car and i ran into this dilema. I don't know the difference between a Draw through and a Blow through turbo system. Can someone inlighten me or show me where i can go to get more info. Oh and if i decide to change my car where is a good place to do the conversion? Im going from draw through to blow through.:pimp:

·
Ex-Nazi
2,213 Posts
A draw through has the MAF (mass air meter) before the turbo, the turbo sucks air through the MAF. The blow off valve, being located after the turbo, must have the outlet re-routed to the inlet side of the turbo (between the turbo and the MAF). This boost is already metered and compensated for with fuel by the computer, if it is simply purged to atmosphere, the car will realize a rich condition after you throttle down from boost. This is usually manifested as a pretty good stutter when you close the throttle after boosting.

A blow through has the mass air meter after the turbo, the turbo obviously blowing through it. The blow off valve can be located between the turbo and the MAF and be run to atmosphere. Most MAFs will be sensitive to their orientation when mounted this way, try to maintain at least 10" of straight pipe before the meter if possible. If there is a bend just before the MAF, be sure to orient it so that the electronics are inline with the outer (backside) of the bend. Stock and C&L (& equivalent) meters are particularly sensitive to this. Most people who bitch and whine about C&L meters simply don't have them oriented correctly. I've lost count of the number of cars I've fixed with this problem.

·
Suck It Sucka
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A draw through has the MAF (mass air meter) before the turbo, the turbo sucks air through the MAF. The blow off valve, being located after the turbo, must have the outlet re-routed to the inlet side of the turbo (between the turbo and the MAF). This boost is already metered and compensated for with fuel by the computer, if it is simply purged to atmosphere, the car will realize a rich condition after you throttle down from boost. This is usually manifested as a pretty good stutter when you close the throttle after boosting.

A blow through has the mass air meter after the turbo, the turbo obviously blowing through it. The blow off valve can be located between the turbo and the MAF and be run to atmosphere. Most MAFs will be sensitive to their orientation when mounted this way, try to maintain at least 10" of straight pipe before the meter if possible. If there is a bend just before the MAF, be sure to orient it so that the electronics are inline with the outer (backside) of the bend. Stock and C&L (& equivalent) meters are particularly sensitive to this. Most people who bitch and whine about C&L meters simply don't have them oriented correctly. I've lost count of the number of cars I've fixed with this problem.
Thanks for that man! In your opinion which is a better system?

·
Suck It Sucka
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whats a good place to have my car looked at so I could get an estimate on the conversion?

·
Ex-Nazi
2,213 Posts
Thanks for that man! In your opinion which is a better system?
I like the blowthrough; personally I think it's more accurate, and if anything you at least get that awesome BOV sound.

·
BITCH, I look like goku.
887 Posts
the shit might even stall out. everyone that's had a draw through maf setup knows all about that :lol:

·
LSX EVERYTHING
7,517 Posts
HAHAHA when you said draw through, I was thinking of one of these.

Like a draw through roots blower setup, but with turbo's!

·
Suck It Sucka
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HAHAHA when you said draw through, I was thinking of one of these.

Like a draw through roots blower setup, but with turbo's!
Damn I wish I had that must be nice to have all that chrome lol. Looks like a clean set up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts