True Street Cars Forums banner

stripped oil drain plug... need a shop!

1K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  JEWPRA 
#1 ·
so when going to change my oil the knucklehead (whoever he/she may be) stripped the hell out of my oil drain plug. every time we go to try to get it off it strips more and more. my normal mechanic is backed up for another 3 weeks and i wanted my oil to be changed by this weekend. took it to jiffy lube to see if they had better luck since they have a little more room. still were not able to get it off. figure i might as well get it into a shop. any shops out there that could have the work done by the weekend. not looking to spend a shit load of money to get a bolt off either. thanks!

#2 ·
Man that sucks..I ran into an srt-4 that valvoline had done a while back. They stripped it to the point where the whole pan just had to be replaced..good luck bro

#3 ·
ya thats what i am thinking and i am pissed about it. all because of a stupid ass bolt

#6 · (Edited)
If worse gets to worse the last thing you can try is have friend weld a length of 1/4inch thick metal mabe a foot or so to the plug and break it loose then either cut the metal piece off enough where you can remove the drain plug.

I know it's ghettoishly creative but I have seen it done and it costs little.

p.s. make sure you buy a new drain plug before hand lol

#7 ·
lol i have the drain plug and all the oil and filter just need that damn thing off. you all gonna be at solid tech on sundays? i have to work this week 10am to 7pm unless you all stay open a little later. its not the threads that are stripped but the actual bolt head.

#9 ·
Stripped threads or rounded head? If the head is rounded just put a pipe wrench on it.

#10 ·
Use a set of locking vise grips to get the bolt out. If there's not enough of the head to grab then grind just enough to get the end flat to drill a hole just deep enough to fit an EZ out. If you don't feel comfortable doing it. I can do it for you anytime you can bring it by the my house.

#12 ·
the metal on the bolt is really soft and just keeps getting stripped more and more. they put a strip bold socket on it to get off with a chizel impact gun set up and it didnt budge. just stripped more. i have a feeling im just gonna have to replace the entire oil pan.

#14 ·
dude try to tac weld a length of steel to it at an angle where you can breakit loose with the length of steel or if need be a cheater bar. Then after you break it loose cut enough off the length of steel that you can twist it without hitting anything else.

#15 ·
not a bad idea. except i dont have anything to weld with. i know i will get it off. just seems like its always something stupid with this car. i cant ever build it because im busy fixing shit. lol at least it drives daily

#16 ·
If you can get a pipe wrench on the head, do it. It will come out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.