True Street Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
HAW-HIGH ALTITUDE WHIPS
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gonna mix it up, Stir the pot, All in good fun

I want to get everyone’s input about, what makes a street car vs race car tag? (Name)

By dot rules

Generally, “street legal” means having whatever equipment or features the law would require to allow one to operate it legally on the roads at any time and without restriction. Obviously, it is possible to operate vehicles on the road with special permission under certain circumstances, but this is not what one usually means by “street legal,” so we will ignore those scenarios for now.

Horn – It may not seem the most important piece of safety equipment, and many big cities even limit how it can be used,

Engine Hood – It may be surprising that having a hood is mandatory to be street legal, but it is. Indeed, even the hood scoops or air intakes on the hood are regulated and can be no more than 4 inches higher than hood surface in most jurisdictions.

Windshield – Another mandatory item, though this one is easier to understand

Windshield Wipers – This is another obvious need, particularly when driving in rain or snow.

Mirrors – Requirements for mirrors vary by vehicle design, but usually the bare minimum will be two mirrors.

Seat Belts – Every state requires the use of seat belts when operating or riding in a motor vehicle, so, of course, their inclusion in the equipment of a vehicle is mandatory.

Brakes – Again, this is a no-brainer for the most part. The added twist many do not consider is it is also necessary to have a functioning parking brake.

Mufflers and Exhaust/Emission Control Systems – Some drivers dislike exhaust and emission control systems because they can have a negative effect on engine performance.

Lights – To comply with the Department of Transportation's requirements, every vehicle must have headlights, tail lights, stop lights, and turn signals, all housed in DOT approved covers and using approved bulbs.

License Plate – Every vehicle has to have a spot to carry a license plate, and that location must be lit.

Reflectors – If you have ever spotted a car parked on the side of the road even though its lights were off, it was thanks to reflectors.

Bumpers – One of the first safety measures, and still required in all vehicles.

Well with that said guess my car is out of the question street car lol . (Low,exhust loud, no Windshield Wipers, hood cowl is 8inches tall etc.
But lets get real…. Make a real street car checklist

I’ll start with what I think is street car tag in performance world.

#1 Pump gas -if you can get it from a pump locality

#2 Dot tires Drag Radials yes –NO slicks becuz they not DOT approved, if they are will say DOT on tire.

#3 Glass windows- not plex or lex

#4 Registered and insured

#5 still oem frame or structure -not back/halfed or tube frame

6# can drive it around place to place with out cool down time (overheating issues)

#7 of course no trailer needed to go places. Within reason don’t get me wrong trailer to track just in case you break good idea LOL

#8 And normal minimum road needs- lights, turn signals,

IMO- Black Market cars (overseas), motor swaps, turbos, superchargers NOS, Loud sounds (exhaust/Bov turbo supercharger sounds), no Windshield Wipers or A/C-heaters, or striped interior, Roll Cage, Shute, no horn , Low height, tall height, tires kinda stick out from fenders, and no radio Ect. NOT A BIG DEAL and DO NOT IMO classifies as a race car.

·
HAW-HIGH ALTITUDE WHIPS
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Remember !! Not started to make people mad or to cause lobby fights just want to bring up a topic that I hear a lot.. and see what people have to say about it.

Attachments

·
HAW-HIGH ALTITUDE WHIPS
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
cliffnotes?

cliffnotes
"I got the cliffnotes." noun. Used to brush people off during a potentially long-winded story or explanation of current events.
When someone is talking or telling you a story and you don't want to hear it, say "Thanks but I have the cliffnotes," to shut them up. This works in many ways, like if someone asks if you've seen a movie, etc., you can say you have the cliffnotes (to the movie). You can experiment and enjoy pissing people off.

LOL that was not the intention?

·
HAW-HIGH ALTITUDE WHIPS
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is the search not working on the site? I think there's about 10 different threads about this already. :lol:
never thought to look, sorry

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you can drive it, make back to back runs then its a street car imo

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I'm pretty minimalist, so for me it goes like this:

-Drive-able, meaning it only sees a trailer when it breaks

-Registered/insured

-All DOT lighting requirements met (HL,TL,BL,TS, and in NM License plate illuminator bulbs - yes I have gotten a ticket for not having them)

-FRONT glass

To me this is the bare minimum, but I personally prefer a heater, horn, mirrors, winshield wipers, and radials.

Other than that, back halves, tubular front ends, pinned hoods and other glass body work, and even non DOT tires all fly with me if you've got the balls to run it.

Power accessories, power steering, power brakes, stereo systems, air conditioning, etc can all fuck off.

And if you got the coin to keep C16 in your tank, fuck it, run dem dread.

·
Obamanos
2,470 Posts
I have no wipers, I can't make back to back hits. It requires maintenance it has a spool in it it's really fucking loud gets like 7mpg. It has no heater or AC

Do I have a street car or a racecar?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I have no wipers, I can't make back to back hits. It requires maintenance it has a spool in it it's really fucking loud gets like 7mpg. It has no heater or AC

Do I have a street car or a racecar?
Race car for sure...

...na I'm just fucking with you. That's the thing about this topic. The term "street car" is basically undefinable because it's different to everybody. The truth is, this topic usually comes up when someone wants to justify losing to a car with less equipment.

I couldn't begin to count how many times I've seen this topic on all the different car forums I troll, and there's always some die hard Moe who can't lose because none of the cars he races have AC or a stereo.

·
HAW-HIGH ALTITUDE WHIPS
251 Posts

·
5th Gear
3,516 Posts
My opinion has always been that it's a car that if need be could be daily driven, regardless of how uncomfortable/illegal/inconvenient etc it may be.

·
Ya'll better wreckonize.
1,149 Posts
If it is FAST, it is a race car, obviously.
If it is slow, or even mildly quick it is a street car.

BAM Now put the women and children to bed because I just ended this conversation forever.
:lol:

J/K I have no fucking clue what the hell the difference is. For crying out loud, I drive a slow ass Eclipse.

·
5th Gear
7,052 Posts
If you drive the bitch on the street then its a street car. Nobodys car here is technically "legal" due to exhaust modification.

·
LS Junkie
2,706 Posts
Such an open door. Hard to have a real argument on this kind of thing. I quess if I had to come up with something and as I said it really can't matter everyone has there opinion. I don't think legality has much if anything to do with it. I think it being a car you can take your family or at least your girl to dinner or ice cream what ever. Be comfortable doing it. If you only have 1 racing seat and no way of taking your lady to dinner or she has to crawl out of a cage in her dress you now do not have a streetcar. Yes you may drive it on the street, by yourself with your cock in your hand, all alone. If you can't share the fun due to no seats stripped interior and full cages. It's not really a steer car, it's a race car you really want to call a street car. Like I said it's all perspective everyone has there own opinion.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Such an open door. Hard to have a real argument on this kind of thing. I quess if I had to come up with something and as I said it really can't matter everyone has there opinion. I don't think legality has much if anything to do with it. I think it being a car you can take your family or at least your girl to dinner or ice cream what ever. Be comfortable doing it. If you only have 1 racing seat and no way of taking your lady to dinner or she has to crawl out of a cage in her dress you now do not have a streetcar. Yes you may drive it on the street, by yourself with your cock in your hand, all alone. If you can't share the fun due to no seats stripped interior and full cages. It's not really a steer car, it's a race car you really want to call a street car. Like I said it's all perspective everyone has there own opinion.
That's a great example! As far as I'm concerned if some broad wants to bitch about climbing over a door bar and buckle into a 5 point to take the ride of her fucking life, bitch can walk.

So yeah, perspective.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts