True Street Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
AKA hondaman
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having problems with my fox, I just got the tranny in and I am trying to get it going. Anyway I has to replace the starter solenoid on it cuz I broke the one that was on there so I marked the old one and took it with me to match it up with the new one at the store, well I get back to the house and come to find that I left the old solenoid at autozone. So I do my best to hook it up right. I turn the key and the and it turns like normal let the key go and the starter stays running. Now I know the problem has to be with the solenoid but I dont know what I did wrong, I always thought there was not a positive and a negitive sides to a soleniod?

any help would be great.

·
Ex-Nazi
2,213 Posts
I can't remember for certain but when you hook it up the two hold down screws should be to the left and the bottom as you look at the solenoid, this way the very small threaded stud is in the middle at the top. Also, make sure it's hooked up correctly!! The right post (the one toward the front of the car) should have teh starter cable ONLY, all others go on the other post except for the small red exciter that snaps onto the small threaded stud at the top of the solenoid.

·
AKA hondaman
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't remember for certain but when you hook it up the two hold down screws should be to the left and the bottom as you look at the solenoid, this way the very small threaded stud is in the middle at the top. Also, make sure it's hooked up correctly!! The right post (the one toward the front of the car) should have teh starter cable ONLY, all others go on the other post except for the small red exciter that snaps onto the small threaded stud at the top of the solenoid.
The soleniod that I have has two of the little studs? should i just switch it and try it like that? I also bought a new starter for it before I put the new solenoid.

·
Nickle Dick
37 Posts
Make sure the cables from one post arent touching the other post, Also if you have a mini starter make sure nothing is touching down there.

·
Ex-Nazi
2,213 Posts
Are you sure you didn't get a starter for a '93? They are wired differently...they have an extra ~12ga exciter that goes from the right side post (the forward post) down to the starter along with the starter cable itself. Older foxes do not.

Also, try it the other direction like you guessed.

·
AKA hondaman
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Make sure the cables from one post arent touching the other post, Also if you have a mini starter make sure nothing is touching down there.
Its not a mini starter, I will check when I get home if anything is touching

1 - 6 of 6 Posts