True Street Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know what my opinion is on them. I want to hear yours. Tell me anything you want, but tell me why it's gay, or why it's ricey or why I'm gonna have jet engine like lag.

·
you know you want me!!!
1,774 Posts
there was a discussion on the mach1registry about them and apparently there is some significant lag. i'll try and find the thread with all the dynos and stuff, but i like the idea being hidden like that.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I wouldnt be as worried about lag as I would be about bottoming the turbos out on a speed bump.

·
NONE OF IT
4,333 Posts
For a track car I think they're great, but for a street driven car I wouldn't do it. I don't think it would be good if it were to start raining.

·
Phantom
222 Posts
For a track car I think they're great, but for a street driven car I wouldn't do it. I don't think it would be good if it were to start raining.
Good point, but you can always counter for such things IE add plates around it and make sure its a sealed enviroment and make a way for the heat to escape that water couldn't make its way in.

G

·
I was playin around wit the thought...the thing I learned is that the closer the turbo is to the engine the more efficient it is

G

·
Yeah it is do-able and if the turbos arent too huge that can combat the lag, but with them farther from the engine the exhaust gasses have less velocity and you get less back pressure and you wont spin the turbine as fast as a car with a turbo only 4 inches from the engine. So it can work, and well at that, but less effective being 4 feet away from the heads rather that close to them

·
Old slow and broke
1,119 Posts
I guess you can make them work....

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
What about all the long oil lines? Pressure and drain. Are the turbos being fed from another source or still from the engine?

·
3rd Gear
962 Posts
What about all the long oil lines? Pressure and drain. Are the turbos being fed from another source or still from the engine?
The turbos are fed and drained from external pumps. The pros and cons I have seen are:

pros:
low heat (but this can be con)
ease of install / fab

cons:
relying on additional pumps
having the most expensive part exposed to theft and the elements
lag

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Rear mounted turbo's

Just finished putting twin turbo's on my Sunbeam Tiger with the help of TurboHorsepower and Sherbring racing. Wish I would have done this years ago.
I have a stock 302 with 200k miles on it and the motor made 380 rwhp thru a PG trans, on 5psi boost, the car has went 11:98 @ 116.
The car is fun to drive and really not much different then other front mounted turbo's as far as lag.
Looking forward to getting the other motor into the car and seeing how it works, should make 650-700 on 8-10lbs of boost.
Like one person said about driving in the rain I really get nervous.
We run a oil control pump back to the motor from a tank that the Turbo's drain into.
We put a FAST system in the car and Chris at the DYNO EDGE tuned the car and said we could put another 100hp with no problem, but I'll wait for the other motor.

·
Fat white guy
762 Posts
You know what they say about the STS guys? They like it in the rear. j/k

One of my friends had one and the lag was horrible if you didn't brake boost it. It was just a single 76mm I think. The good thing about the lag was it helped him keep from exploding his stock 10 bolt rear-end.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is really no set distance from the engine to get amazing results. The simple fact is the further the distance from turbo to exhaust header, the more volume you have to equalize pressure in the pipe before any positive boost is created. I have seen 500-600hp engines with rear mounted turbos throw up absolutely horrible numbers due to the lag time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts