True Street Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noob on this forum,

Thanks pun1shr for the link to this site.

Well i have a question as this is my first automatic vehicle.

i just finished swaping out my transmission in my LS1. (installed a 4L60E with corvette cervos, upgraded shift kit, upgraded clutches and other parts)
the transmission had no fluid previously and the torque converter was not filled with oil either (i only added 1/4 of a quart when installing it)

After completion of the tranny swap, i added 8 quarts of oil as indicated by some. I ran the vehicle around the corner came around to my house and parked it in the driveway. Well the engine was off so i decided to check the oil level for the transmission. As i pull the dipstick out, tranny oil gushed out thru the dipstick.

Is this normal?

now i don't want to drive my LS1 until i know everything is good to go
any help is very much appreciate.

·
Premium Member
6,225 Posts
Sounds like you over-filled the tranny. I'd take some fluid out until it registers on the dipstick where it should be...

·
My shit always works sometimes
2,937 Posts
too, much in the pan.. FTL

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so 8 quarts on an all drained system is too much.

i bought a pump that i insert thru the dip stick i was thinking about pumping out 2 quarts if it is overfill.

but oil gushed out after driving the car and pulling out the dipstick to check the measure.

someone had told me that it was normal but im not too sure if i should of added less than 8 quarts to an all new transmission and torque converter.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like you over-filled the tranny. I'd take some fluid out until it registers on the dipstick where it should be...
hey terminator,

i tried calling you the other day and no luck.
then i tried sending you a message on RSW but no answer back.

is 8 quarts too much for a new tranny swap?????

·
2,937 Posts
so 8 quarts on an all drained system is too much.

i bought a pump that i insert thru the dip stick i was thinking about pumping out 2 quarts if it is overfill.

but oil gushed out after driving the car and pulling out the dipstick to check the measure.

someone had told me that it was normal but im not too sure if i should of added less than 8 quarts to an all new transmission and torque converter.

well, you should have put at least a quart in the converter b4 putting it on the pump shaft..1qt and the the avg 350 trans (4l60e) is aprox 5-6qt's so i'm guessing you may be 1-1.5 over full.. make sure your checking the dipstick with the car running.. also make sure the vent tube isn't clogged... go thru the gears a few times check it, go thru the gears again and check it.. until you feel conf. that it is where it is supposed to be.. then drive it like you stole it..!! :headbang:

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i have the 4L60E with corvette cervos, upgraded shift kit and other goodies.

i only put close to half a quart on the converter when i mounted it onto the pump shaft.

i will try retrieving 2 quarts of oil and go from there.

after driving the car, i should be able to safely retrieve the dipstick while the motor is running right, and no oil should spill out.

on my dipstick line, the dipstick itself has a locking top to maintain pressure.

·
2,937 Posts
well i have the 4L60E with corvette cervos, upgraded shift kit and other goodies.

i only put close to half a quart on the converter when i mounted it onto the pump shaft.

i will try retrieving 2 quarts of oil and go from there.

after driving the car, i should be able to safely retrieve the dipstick while the motor is running right, and no oil should spill out.

on my dipstick line, the dipstick itself has a locking top to maintain pressure.
the tranny will have some pressure in it depending on how you've driven it.. but shouldn't spray all over the place like a happy ending...be sure to check the vent tube..

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok i will check the cent tube.im pretty sure i didn't pinch it as i put it up.

what negative effect does the vent tube has on the tranny.

·
Registered
706 Posts
ok i will check the cent tube.im pretty sure i didn't pinch it as i put it up.

what negative effect does the vent tube has on the tranny.
Also, make sure the transmission is all the way up to operating temp. idleing in the driveway or driving it around the block is not going to put nearly enough heat in it to get a proper fluid level check.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
10-4. i will give it a second attemp today.

does anyone recommend for me to take out 1.5 quarts out of the tranny to be safe?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
2,937 Posts
drain plug?

·
Registered
706 Posts
It won't hurt anything, remember to add fluid slowly, sneek up on the full level, drive it easy for at least five miles, then check it, if you put all eight quarts in at once, you probably got some air trapped in it, it'll puke fluid until it burps.

·
2,937 Posts
just pat it on the bumper until it burps.. :lol:

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hehehehe lol, ill go ahead and pat it on its rear lol

no i started off with 4 quarts turned on the engine for a minute so the oil could flow

then i added 3 more and did the same with turning on the engine

at the very end i added the 8th quart turned it on for for a couple minutes without putting the dip stick on. turned it off put the dip stick on. took out the car from garage parked it in the drive way, cleaned up the garage and then i went for a stroll around the block, came back home parked it in the garage, turned off engine open hood pull out dipstick and it puked all over my face and engine bay.

·
Premium Member
1,859 Posts
It shouldn't have pressure like that unless the vent is plugged/pinched or it is overfilled. Just like the others have said sneak up on the fluid level and make sure to drive it a bit to let all the fluid circulate and work its way down.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok im going to check the vent tube to make sure that its not pinched.

im really hoping i didn't pinch it when i installed the new tranny.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i need to remove my cats with y pipe to install a new performance set up that i bought from pun1shr, so that will give me good space to work with the vent tube.

im going to check if its clogged,

hmmmmmm

also i might have pushed the vent hose connector a bit tooo close to the hard plastic tube.

if its not pinched then ill slide the hose a bit back.

is there an easy way of checking if the vent tube is clogged from the engine bay?

·
Registered
706 Posts
i need to remove my cats with y pipe to install a new performance set up that i bought from pun1shr, so that will give me good space to work with the vent tube.

im going to check if its clogged,

hmmmmmm

also i might have pushed the vent hose connector a bit tooo close to the hard plastic tube.

if its not pinched then ill slide the hose a bit back.

is there an easy way of checking if the vent tube is clogged from the engine bay?
Those vent tubes do not smash flat very easily, even if you bump it hard during installation, just drain some out and start over, with the car warmed up just idleing in the driveway, fill it until you can just see it at the bottom of the dipstick, then drive it 'till it gets up to temp and recheck it then, the level will be much higher when it's all the way warmed up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts