True Street Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
BITCH, I look like goku.
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience running a promod car? what does it cost to get out there and be competitive? how often to they have to be gone through? figure a blower car... i know it's expensive, but i was just looking to see ballpark figures..

http://www.racingjunk.com/category/...SCA-Procharger-Pro-street-sale-or-trade-.html

shit. posted the wrong link haha. but ya pro mod car.

-Jed

·
Doesnt know jack shit
3,680 Posts
That car isnt kidding around....If you havent had experience with a 9 second car that thing will be a beast!! you probably will be going through the engine every year, the tranny once a year, fuel, tires, $$$ to get licensed to be able to race...Sherbie or Chris Groves, maybe the motiva/hellion guys will have a better idea of that...but im guessing 20-30k + spare parts and what not in case something breaks.

·
5th Gear
2,026 Posts
Jed,

The price for that car should give you an idea what the cost will be. Initial build (start up costs) will be just north of 100K. The maintenance cost is probably 30+K annually there after.

Would be bad ass though. hehe

·
Ex-Nazi
2,213 Posts
Are you talking be competitive as in, run the number or be competitive as in able to consistently run the numbers and make the race dates in a series (AMS, etc.)? And are you talking 1/8mi or 1/4mi?

Competitive Pro Mod cars nowadays run very bottom 6s and can dip into the 5s, that ain't cheap.

·
BITCH, I look like goku.
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not going to every race, persay. rather, keeping one together and running a steady e.t. 1/8 mile shit looks fun... and im talking just the car, not diesel to get to the race, the trailer, yadda, yadda. just what it would cost to keep it going.

·
Premium Member
1,859 Posts
Maintenance on a 9 sec car is next to nothing. You start talking 8 sec car then you start talking maybe once a year freshen up if it is built correctly. Anything faster is tear down once a race. Even the low 8 sec range starts to get rough on the maintenance.

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
Not sure on a pro mod but we had a swing door pro stock car back in Oregon, super expensive to buy and not just anyone works on em, our engine guy was 2 states away and we hauled the motor over there at least once a month for a freshen and bench dyno, licensing and maintenance sucked, it would break more often then not, spendy trailer, spendy truck to pull the trailer, ton of extra parts to keep on hand, shit loads of fuel, always had to have (at least) 4 or 5 people in the crew with you at all times (big beer and food expense!), and we raced that car for fun, not competitively and it was still a ton of money. My dads friend had a couple sponsors and that helped but unless you have a ton of sponsors or sell large amounts of crack to the canadians (joking, that was a figure of speech for comic relief, don't arrest me APD please) it is extremely costly...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Dude, I hope you have deep pockets!! I mean DEEP!! I know a BUDGET racer who spends over $100,000 a year just to keep it on a basline SAFE tune. Its a nitrous car. Be ready to put new clutches in every other pass, fuel alone for the car. Almost every pro-mod team out there re-builds there car after every race. They have SO MUCH wear on them after every race. My uncle builds pro-mod engines. For a good solid runner you are looking at $50,000 off the bat. No questions asked!

My personal opinion is run a nitrous car. my cousin's boyfriend runs an ADRL and IHRA Pro-Mod car. He even goes over to the middle east and drives for Al Anabi. He is own an unlimited budget. Whatever it takes to win!

you might want to re-think running pro-mod unless you plan to spend some jack! If you have any questions, shoot me a PM. Thanks

**EDIT**

To be competive you need to run low 6.0's or high 5's in the 1/4. 3.8's-3.9's in the 1/8.

·
BITCH, I look like goku.
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for all the info guys... i wish that i was in a position with "deep pockets," lol. i was more so looking into for the fact that i had no idea what it costed to run a promod car. i mean i had an idea, but i just wanted to hear some real numbers. maybe some day down the road :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts