True Street Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Do you even lift?
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well apparently I had a hybrid type of new Lifter in my motor, its a half square/round roller, and it loves to eat lobes.

I was hoping the issue was just a collapsed lifter, now I have to get a new cam....I was planning on going with a bigger cam (duration wise) anyways, but just not so soon.

My current cam is a 231/235 .643"/.645" 113LSA, this cam was a custom grind from TSP in Lubbock. It was spec'd for a daily driver cam for the stock 346cui.

Looking somewhere in the 248/254 range with 62x"/63x" 113LSA.

Looks like its time to start selling these bitches...If you would like some, please send your lifters of choice, and my cam will eat them. 3 day turn-around, lets do a group-purchase!

·
331 Stroker
684 Posts
damn bro that blows. always sucks when something like that happens, but just gives you a reason to go bigger!! lol go big on duration i say your gonna want to do it later if you dont so might as well do it now.

·
LSX EVERYTHING
7,517 Posts
Any shavings find their way to the pan? I would be careful after a failure like that. Make sure you get all the broken pieces out.

·
Ex-Nazi
2,213 Posts
I wouldn't go solid roller simply cause you drive too much. Adjustments are a pain after a while.

And remember this is exactly the problem my motor just had, you'd be much better if you pulled the pan at a minimum and checked. Those pieces of the roller and the needle bearings had to go somewhere.

I ended up with all new lifters, new cam, and all new bearings.

·
Overboosted
1,357 Posts
I'm pretty sure the power advantages in solid rollers is negligible with the advancements with hydraulic rollers. The cost and very high maintenance simply isn't worth it for a car that sees ANY street time. They constantly need adjusting, and need replacement after only a moderate amount of miles. I would imagine that solid rollers would give you maybe 20hp over a halfway decent hydraulic roller setup at the very most. Simply not worth it IMO.

·
Do you even lift?
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How much HP is a solid roller setup worth?
Talking to Josef J, he said just switching to a Solid Roller cam he picked up 3 tenths in the 1/4.

Searching on LS1Tech, 383cui Solid setups are making 560rwhp...

I wouldn't go solid roller simply cause you drive too much. Adjustments are a pain after a while.

And remember this is exactly the problem my motor just had, you'd be much better if you pulled the pan at a minimum and checked. Those pieces of the roller and the needle bearings had to go somewhere.

I ended up with all new lifters, new cam, and all new bearings.
I wont be driving the car as much as I used to, once the spool is in etc it will probably see the streets on occasion.

I already checked the pan and cut open the oil filter, I drove the car the other day actually, just before I pulled the head, to make sure there wasnt a bearing going out.

·
Do you even lift?
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm pretty sure the power advantages in solid rollers is negligible with the advancements with hydraulic rollers. The cost and very high maintenance simply isn't worth it for a car that sees ANY street time. They constantly need adjusting, and need replacement after only a moderate amount of miles. I would imagine that solid rollers would give you maybe 20hp over a halfway decent hydraulic roller setup at the very most. Simply not worth it IMO.
Look at how much Lift you can run on a Solid cam compared to a Hydraulic, also look at how low of a LSA you can go with a Solid over a Hydraulic. Also I can rev the motor much higher and faster.

Just switching the cam alone to a solid setup would probably benefit 20rwhp, but I am going with a radical cam...

·
Ex-Nazi
2,213 Posts
Bah, guys are going low 8s with hydraulic lifters. No need for solids!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts