True Street Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Suck It Sucka
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering which way I should go as far as my tranny. I think im going to need either a rebuild or a new one soon and I was wondering everyones opinion on it. Should I get my tranny rebuilt and make it "better" as far as performance goes? or should a get a complete new tranny and if so what kind?

-I have a 97 Mustang manual tranny

G

·
I was wondering which way I should go as far as my tranny. I think im going to need either a rebuild or a new one soon and I was wondering everyones opinion on it. Should I get my tranny rebuilt and make it "better" as far as performance goes? or should a get a complete new tranny and if so what kind?

-I have a 97 Mustang manual tranny
a new one a power glide, just kidding get a rebuild done on the one you have

·
LSX EVERYTHING
7,517 Posts
If it's a T-5 World Class, the only parts in town will be OEM. So if you had trouble with it breaking, you may wanna ship it somewhere and get it built. IMO

I rebuilt a T-5 4 times with OEM parts and it would just keep fcuking breaking.

·
Suck It Sucka
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Depends on what your goals are. Drag race? Street/strip? How much power do you want to make?
street/strip is what im shooting for. And as far as power I just want a reliable tranny that can handle some power.

a new one a power glide, just kidding get a rebuild done on the one you have
Do you know of a good place to do a rebuild?

·
Suck It Sucka
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it's a T-5 World Class, the only parts in town will be OEM. So if you had trouble with it breaking, you may wanna ship it somewhere and get it built. IMO

I rebuilt a T-5 4 times with OEM parts and it would just keep fcuking breaking.
Why did you keep breaking?

·
BITCH, I look like goku.
887 Posts
t5s are gravy man. super easy to rebuild. once you take it apart, you wont wonder why thy always break

·
Suck It Sucka
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think my syncros are going out something common with this type of tranny. Thats what I have read anyway.

·
Suck It Sucka
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What is the tranny doing exactly?
Well the other day I was getting on it and when I was putting it into third it got stuck. I couldn't get it out of gear then after a little while it came loose and worked fine.

·
LSX EVERYTHING
7,517 Posts
Well the other day I was getting on it and when I was putting it into third it got stuck. I couldn't get it out of gear then after a little while it came loose and worked fine.
sounds like shift forks to me.

·
Registered
530 Posts
If you have a GT, then you may have a Borg-Warner T-45 or a T-5. On your vehicle identification plate on your drivers door look at the section that says TR. If it is a 5 you have a T-45, if it is a 6 you have a T-5. The T-45 was the common model, and is what is in my 97 GT.

If your transmission is getting stuck in third then it's probably something with your shift fork or shift rails. Your best bet is finding out what other 96 and 97 from exclusively Mustang forums. For my SN-95 related stuff I use SN95forums.com.

·
Suck It Sucka
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I figured that one out primetime thanks Im trying to look for a parts car at the auction maybe ill get lucky. Get a used tranny and rebulid my old one that way I have two trannys.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts