True Street Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
زنجي الر
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have been talking to my buddy back in the 505 (I am stationed out here in Monterey, grew up in ABQ) and he has a 99 Mustang GT with a bad motor that has just been sitting for about a year now. The car is in pieces, and I said "I'll give ya 500 bucks to get it off your hands" and he says "sure, why not." So... here we go! It's a 5 speed car with about 100k on the clock. The engine got rebuilt once before, but I am pretty sure the people that build it fucked it up pretty bad. It always overheated, and I am pretty sure it ate a bearing before a head gasket went out on it. It still has good cylinder heads (PI) and everything from the tranny back are good.

Now, my plans for the car is to try to get something in the 600 horse range. I have talked to Mike at QMM, and bitchstang and Trey about it a little bit too. It seems like a consensus is to get a forged rotating assembly into that thing, and then get some boost into it (turbos no doubt). It'll take some time because I am out in California, and bitchstang will be helping me out with ALL the work basically, since I won't be able to get to the car.

I guess my questions for you all is... does this seem like a good route to go with? I do plan on using cobra crank, good rods etc. and try and build a good platform to have a reliable 600 horse (for what saying reliable is worth). Any input I could get from you all would be very much appreciated! Thank you!

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
sounds like a good buy! I have a non PI block if you want to do a non PI piston with PI heads. Run it by Mike. I know that combo makes the compression a lot higher (around 10:1).

Well, I have been talking to my buddy back in the 505 (I am stationed out here in Monterey, grew up in ABQ) and he has a 99 Mustang GT with a bad motor that has just been sitting for about a year now. The car is in pieces, and I said "I'll give ya 500 bucks to get it off your hands" and he says "sure, why not." So... here we go! It's a 5 speed car with about 100k on the clock. The engine got rebuilt once before, but I am pretty sure the people that build it fucked it up pretty bad. It always overheated, and I am pretty sure it ate a bearing before a head gasket went out on it. It still has good cylinder heads (PI) and everything from the tranny back are good.

Now, my plans for the car is to try to get something in the 600 horse range. I have talked to Mike at QMM, and bitchstang and Trey about it a little bit too. It seems like a consensus is to get a forged rotating assembly into that thing, and then get some boost into it (turbos no doubt). It'll take some time because I am out in California, and bitchstang will be helping me out with ALL the work basically, since I won't be able to get to the car.

I guess my questions for you all is... does this seem like a good route to go with? I do plan on using cobra crank, good rods etc. and try and build a good platform to have a reliable 600 horse (for what saying reliable is worth). Any input I could get from you all would be very much appreciated! Thank you!

·
زنجي الر
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well right now it looks like I have tracked down a cobra crank and a cobra block for 600 bucks shipped. I am also quickly learning that this stuff adds up FAST, considering this is my first build. I have been trying to do as much research now to save myself headaches (and dollars) later. I am taking my time with it though and making sure it gets done right.

·
Premium Member
5,494 Posts
Sounds like a good plan. 600 will be easy if you get enough fuel and a turbo or two. That's a great number for the street, lots of fun for sure. Build the motor right and make sure the tune is spot on so you can enjoy it for a long time. Keep us updated too, we need all the fast Mustangs we can get. :lol:

·
5th Gear
7,052 Posts
This is gonna be a fun project. Its gonna be pretty legit for fairly cheap too.

·
زنجي الر
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is gonna be a fun project. Its gonna be pretty legit for fairly cheap too.
That is what I am hoping for... don't really have a whole lot of expenses just living in Army barracks with them paying for practically everything. I am gonna get promoted soon which means even more money in the bank!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts