True Street Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Ex-Nazi
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Laptop I just picked up from Nova, trying to work out the bugs and all that's goofy on it. Biggest problem I have is the Display settings will not stay where I set them. Right now on the highest resolution (1280x800 or whatever) the colors are set at 16-bit High Color. If I set them at 32-bit True Color, they will eventually revert back to 16 after a while. Could be instantly...could take 20 minutes. I can't figure out how to get this to stay. Doesn't matter if I set it from the Desktop-->Properties screen or in the Nvidia workscreen (which itself is a bitch to get to open).

Also, to be able to run the latest Google Earth, I was prompted to update my DirectX, which I did. Then I was prompted to turn up my graphics acceleration, which I also did so the program wouldn't run like crap. Well, this graphics acceleration will also revert back to 'None' along with the color settings mentioned above. The fucking thing will NOT stay how it's set!!

FYI, graphics card is an NVIDIA Quadro FX 360M. The drivers are up to date but of course, the seller didn't have any of the program disks with the computer.

·
Premium Member
5,494 Posts
Maybe hardware but since you already updated the driver I'd cut your losses and format then install a fresh OS. At least you'll know for sure after that.

·
5th Gear
2,026 Posts
Maybe hardware but since you already updated the driver I'd cut your losses and format then install a fresh OS. At least you'll know for sure after that.
haha True that.

I am so used to my Software Engineers pointing fingers to hardware, that I now look at hardware first. haha

·
Registered
9 Posts
Uninstall the Nvidia driver completely first and let windows reinstall it before blitzing the entire OS. Unless you've got other problems as well or just want to burn a few hours of your time :). Or maybe you've got a ghost of the drive from way back, then that might alter my thinking. But I'm lazy about full ghosts on my own machines so I'm going to assume you are too :).

I'd start by asking myself if the video adapter on this laptop is ugradeable, and, if it is, find the access panel to get to it, and check that it's seated and there's nothing funny around the card (like gravel, or small fires, or a family of Gypsies, etc.). I'd also scan the BIOS settings just to see if the Gypsies did anything obvious to them and I'd also look at the Windows Event Logs because sometimes the Gypsies do things that show up there and it becomes easier to point your finger at them and shout, "Ah HAH! You Transylvanian Devils!".

Then I'd move on to uninstalling anything Nvidia related in Add/Remove Programs, then (re)boot into Safe Mode and delete the display adapter in Computer Manager. Reboot into normal windows and let XP reinstall and see what happens. Reinstall any other Nvidia stuff if the primary problem's fixed and see what happens after that.

One alternate path here is to disconnect from the internet and bring XP up without a display adapter (clubbed along with baby seals when you were in Safe Mode [not so safe for seals though]) and install the vanilla Windows adapter driver. Check to see it you can change it's settings and have the settings stick. This would verify that the problem is the Nvidia video driver. If settings don't stick with the Windows drivers then the issue is more likely small toads living under the keyboard and they won't leave until you reinstall the OS.

If it's still futzed, and if it were me, I'd kick a small prairie dog, down a Diet Coke, and then I'd check out the instructions on Overclock.com and completely eliminate the Nvidia installation with the driver cleaner tool (or a similar tool if that one's not around any more or it's been stolen by Gypsie seals). Then I'd reboot and reinstall the Nvidia gear again.

And after that I'd burn an effigy of Neils Bohr (with the inscription, "You're Einstein's Bitch!", on it's forehead) and start thinking about how quantum entaglement is really spooky, just as a way to pass the time while rebuilding the OS from scratch, knowing that if it's a hardware problem then this isn't going to help.

Any spare Nvidia cards for that laptop on eBay? Hmm.

One little voice, probably the ghost of a dead seal, or prairie dog, or maybe Neils Bohr's dog, thinks that an attempt at repairing Windows (Windows repair tool) would be worthwhile, but the other voice, probably the ghost of Elvis, says that he's not had that work at fixing stuff like this yet and he recalls that you said you don't have disks. You have to have an original Windows install disk for a repair, The King believes, although not necessarily the one that came with the system, counters a dog/seal. So, I dunno on this one. I mean, Neil's Dog or The King. I dunno.

·
Premium Member
5,494 Posts
^^^ Whoa. Strong first post.

I figured since the laptop is new-to-you you could start fresh 'n' clean, then address the problem(s). But whatever. You can go with dwtalso's advice, but be careful, it might be a bit frustrating trying to differentiate between the useful and the weird. :willy_nilly:

For what it's worth, apparently he goes by "Dan". Also he appears to be associated with something called "JAM". Upon closer inspection of his signature I'm confident "-P49Y83+" has something to do with something, but what? I have no idea. And I don't think anyone else does either. :willy_nilly:

Weird man, weird.

I love lamp. :willy_nilly:

·
Premium Member
5,494 Posts
Holy crap! It's Dan! Welcome Dan! I remember you flew past me one time, and your blower was screaming. It was loud as shit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, it has a KB. But it's one of the little ones :).

Thanks, Sean.

SLOBRA, howdy :)! JAM = Just another Mustang. It's a joke from days gone by and ancient fora of yore but I can't shake it.

P49Y hint: check your vin, I think you'd be a P48Y ;). And you'd have a 3 [or a 4, maybe] a couple of digits away too. The plus is, well, extra stuff.

Oh, and, yeah, I'm a lurker and don't post much so I have to make these things count :p.

G

·
Yes, it has a KB. But it's one of the little ones :).

Thanks, Sean.

SLOBRA, howdy :)! JAM = Just another Mustang. It's a joke from days gone by and ancient fora of yore but I can't shake it.

P49Y hint: check your vin, I think you'd be a P48Y ;). And you'd have a 3 [or a 4, maybe] a couple of digits away too. The plus is, well, extra stuff.

Oh, and, yeah, I'm a lurker and don't post much so I have to make these things count :p.
because i think i saw your car with the motor out at dynos edge a couple of years ago that's why i asked

·
Registered
9 Posts
because i think i saw your car with the motor out at dynos edge a couple of years ago that's why i asked
Yep, that was my baby :). That was the result of my stupidity not anything fun like getting a built motor. The bottom end is still stock (so it is a little built anyway ;) ).

Wow, that was two years ago. Kudos to Dyno Edge and Bud Longs for doing me right on that fiasco.

G

·
Yep, that was my baby :). That was the result of my stupidity not anything fun like getting a built motor. The bottom end is still stock (so it is a little built anyway ;) ).

Wow, that was two years ago. Kudos to Dyno Edge and Bud Longs for doing me right on that fiasco.
a friend of mine had a bud long motor done on his 03 cobra and that bitch didn't even last 1000 miles im glad you got a good one

·
Ex-Nazi
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Get your own thread!

Probably the easiest thing would be to format and reinstall the OS. Then I can really see what's up. As for all of Dan's advice......um. Yeah.

I won't be losing anything as I've only had it a couple days and all I've installed so far is Firefox and Google Earth and updated a few drivers and components.

If worse comes to worst, maybe just get a better vid card as this is the bottom of the pile NVidia anyway.

I don't have any spare OS disks save for my Vista ones for my desktop tho....hmm.

·
5th Gear
2,026 Posts
Get your own thread!

Probably the easiest thing would be to format and reinstall the OS. Then I can really see what's up. As for all of Dan's advice......um. Yeah.

I won't be losing anything as I've only had it a couple days and all I've installed so far is Firefox and Google Earth and updated a few drivers and components.

If worse comes to worst, maybe just get a better vid card as this is the bottom of the pile NVidia anyway.

I don't have any spare OS disks save for my Vista ones for my desktop tho....hmm.
Oh please don't tell me you are going to entertain making VISTA as your OS?

Actually Vista is not too bad, except that I still have software compatibility issues...

Good luck homie..

·
Ex-Nazi
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
All I said was that's all I have available. :p

·
Registered
9 Posts
Get your own thread!
Roger that.

If there's nothing to lose then a rebuild does have advantages as it wipes the slate clean. It will also almost guarantee that if the problem persists it's hardware.

As for Vista, I have some advice, take it for what it's worth :). Vista's fine as long as you remove the UAC, imho. I run a lot of different software and 99.9% is Vista compatible now. For the rest I use Sun's Virtual Box and MS VirtualPC with XP installs. Sun's VB has USB support, VPC does not, but both run XP very nicely under Vista.

But I do not run lots of games and those are the real issue with compatibility these days, imho.

One other thing to keep in mind, Windows 7 is scheduled for 2010. That's not too far away. Yeah, there will be upgrade issues but rather than go through them twice it's a fair thought to reinstall XP and wait for Seven.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts