1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Ex-Nazi
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dm-mmanotes082508&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Yahoo! News said:
Kimbo will face Shamrock on CBS

In a battle of one of the biggest draws in mixed martial arts history against one of today’s most talked-about fighters, 44-year-old Ken Shamrock will be named Kimbo Slice’s opponent in the main event when CBS officially announces the matches for the Oct. 4 network special from the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Fla.

The official announcement of the complete show, which is also expected to feature Gina Carano vs. Kelly Kobold-Gavin, is slated for Tuesday.

Slice’s (3-0) fame from YouTube videos translated into the most-watched mixed martial arts match ever in North America on May 31, when 6.5 million viewers saw him beat James Thompson on CBS. Shamrock set pay-per-view records during the early days of the sport, and later in comeback matches with Tito Ortiz.

But Shamrock (26-13-2), one of the first superstars of the sport during a stint from 1993-1996, has lost five matches in a row since a win over Kimo Leopoldo four years ago. He was not competitive with Tito Ortiz in two matches in 2006, but the first match drew what is still the second-largest pay-per-view number in MMA history with 775,000 buys after the two were opposing coaches on The Ultimate Fighter reality show.

Controversy regarding a quick stoppage in the match resulted in a televised rematch on Spike TV that drew 5.9 million viewers. Shamrock, a one-time powerhouse, lost both matches in less than four minutes combined and was easily overpowered by Ortiz.

Since then, Shamrock’s only fight was on March 8, in London, England, when he was knocked out in 3:26 by journeyman Robert “Buzz” Berry.
Yeah, keep giving Kimbo guys who aren't much threat anymore.

This oughtta be interesting.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I thought shamrock is retired?

The match i want to see if Iceman chuck lidell and Kimbo. Both of them were talking shit about each other. I want to see if their mouths can back it up in the octagon.

·
E85 veteran
2,739 Posts
After the Shamrock fight, they should put him in the octagon with Brock Lesnar!
Kimbo would get killed. His only chance would be a tap out and getting lucky.

·
Doesnt know jack shit
3,680 Posts
Kimbo is such a joke. I was hoping to see Chuck and Kimbo fight. Kimbo isnt as bad as people think he is, if he fights someone whos worth a shit and can actually throw down he will get owned. To bad EliteXC is a joke and really doesnt have much talent, reminds me of a bunch of circus acts running around.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I think kimbo is an alright dude but when he starts fighting people who can REALLY fight in his weight division he is going to get wrecked. If you can't fight on the ground, which he has shown time and time again, he will get worked BUT if the fighter is willing to go toe to toe with kimbo he will always have a punchers chance.
Now if old man shamrock stands up with kimbo he is going to get destroyed but if it goes to the ground ken will submit him with no problem. Only time will tell can't wait to see this one.

·
Ex-Nazi
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why not? He'd get destroyed in a real fight. They need to pump up his record and give him experience without him getting hurt.

·
Registered
247 Posts
All punchers have a chance especially if you got a good one cause all it takes is one good shot and ur fucked no matter how good of a fighter you are.

·
Ex-Nazi
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My post got in late, I was talking to the poster before you, 505. ^^

·
Ex-Nazi
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not if he's the "future" of your promotion it's not.

·
I'm kind of a big deal...
2,045 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts