True Street Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newb here, I just recently purchased a 97 KIA Sephia:smile:. I want more performance out of it, I heard you can increase power by atleat half if I turbo charge it? Is this true? I would like to find more info about them if possible, is there anyone running one here? Im kinda broke im a senior in highschool, but i do have a part time job painting curbs. Any help will be apperciated thanks.
Mike S.

·
LSX EVERYTHING
7,517 Posts
Newb here, I just recently purchased a 97 KIA Sephia:smile:. I want more performance out of it, I heard you can increase power by atleat half if I turbo charge it? Is this true? I would like to find more info about them if possible, is there anyone running one here? Im kinda broke im a senior in highschool, but i do have a part time job painting curbs. Any help will be apperciated thanks.
Mike S.
I suggest starting out with a better platform, Kia's arent really known for "going fast." I say sell it and find a cheap factory turbo car and start from there. Just my opinion.

·
Phantom
222 Posts
I suggest starting out with a better platform, Kia's arent really known for "going fast." I say sell it and find a cheap factory turbo car and start from there. Just my opinion.
After reading his post, the first thought I had was he is gonna get flammed. Props to you for actually giving a decent answer. I forgot this isn't rsw lol

Welcome to the site :)

I would take Slomaro's advice and start with a better platform. If you want something cheap that you can modify it to go decently quick I would go with a DSM. Other than that I would save your money, don't put an exhaust/intake/what ever on the kia cause its not even gonna make a noticeable difference.

If you want to learn more about turbocharging a vehicle then I would start with http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I wish that were the case, I dont have alot of cash, I only get 7 dollars per curb i paint. I think it already has some performance parts installed on it, When i bought the car i noticed a little tick in the motor and the owner said he had just installed a performace cam. and it has a chrome air intake system.

·
Phantom
222 Posts
Well I wish that were the case, I dont have alot of cash, I only get 7 dollars per curb i paint. I think it already has some performance parts installed on it, When i bought the car i noticed a little tick in the motor and the owner said he had just installed a performace cam. and it has a chrome air intake system.
I could be wrong, but I highly HIGHLY doubt they put a performance cam in a kia, I wouldn't be supprised if they didn't even make them. How old are you, at least 18? I would get a job at a pizza shack or something, thats a minimum of 7 bucks an hour and a good 15-20 hours a week.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After reading his post, the first thought I had was he is gonna get flammed. Props to you for actually giving a decent answer. I forgot this isn't rsw lol

Welcome to the site :)

I would take Slomaro's advice and start with a better platform. If you want something cheap that you can modify it to go decently quick I would go with a DSM. Other than that I would save your money, don't put an exhaust/intake/what ever on the kia cause its not even gonna make a noticeable difference.

If you want to learn more about turbocharging a vehicle then I would start with http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm
thanks for the helpful site. So it just takes the used air from your exhaust that spins a wheel connected to another wheel and forces air into the motor? Is this bad for it? I really dont want to mess up my motor.

·
LSX EVERYTHING
7,517 Posts
If you want something cheap that you can modify it to go decently quick I would go with a DSM. Other than that I would save your money, don't put an exhaust/intake/what ever on the kia cause its not even gonna make a noticeable difference.
+1 DSM's are a very good start. They are a dime a dozen, and you can find one in decent shape for cheap. Oh, and if you didnt know, a DSM is refering to Mitsubishi eclipse's from I think 89? to around 2000. Also Eagle Talon's. The GST Eclipse comes FWD Turbo, and the GSX is an AWD Turbo.

·
Phantom
222 Posts
thanks for the helpful site. So it just takes the used air from your exhaust that spins a wheel connected to another wheel and forces air into the motor? Is this bad for it? I really dont want to mess up my motor.
Thats pretty much it, I don't know your car specifically, but most cars that start off NA (naturally aspirated) from the factory don't take well to boost unless you build the motor.

My advice to you is come out to some of the meets, talk with the members, keep an open mind, and you will learn a lot. I gotta get back to work, have a good one :)

·
Phantom
222 Posts
+1 DSM's are a very good start. They are a dime a dozen, and you can find one in decent shape for cheap. Oh, and if you didnt know, a DSM is refering to Mitsubishi eclipse's from I think 89? to around 2000. Also Eagle Talon's. The GST Eclipse comes FWD Turbo, and the GSX is an AWD Turbo.
89s are pretty rare. Eclipse was 89-99 Talon was 90-98 and the Laser was 90-94. ok, back to work for sure this time lol

·
Ex-Nazi
2,213 Posts
That's what I was thinking.

Buy slicks, strip the interior, spray the fuck outta that bitch and you'll go fast.

Shit if someone really has a Kia we should get together and make it a sickass drag car, haha!!

·
LSX EVERYTHING
7,517 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,225 Posts
Troll means someone that goes on forums under a different screen name than they normally would and just fucks with people basically.

·
LSX EVERYTHING
7,517 Posts
Troll means someone that goes on forums under a different screen name than they normally would and just fucks with people basically.
oh....I feel stupid.

·
FUCK FOURLOKO!!
10,258 Posts
Don't feel stupid, happens to everyone at least once. At least this troll actually made me laugh. Freaking hilarious. Part time job painting addresses on curbs for 7 bucks a curb hahahahaha

·
LSX EVERYTHING
7,517 Posts
Hey, I thought atleast he was making some kind of effort!! lol wow

1 - 20 of 23 Posts