True Street Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
9 Second Street Machine
5,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just installed another Cam in my car and broke it in with Rotella 15W40 oil and now it is going away already (again). I called Summit racing and they are sending another cam for free. It seems I am not the only person having these issues. The zinc has been removed from most commercially available oils resulting in this being a recurring problem. They suggested Rotella oil and a camshaft break-in additive. I believe we will remove one of the valve springs as well and then put it back on after the cam seats in.

Further suggestions, input, experience anyone?

·
9 Second Street Machine
5,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was waiting for the "Get a roller - dumbass"

You were close - very close LOL

·
I'm kind of a big deal...
2,045 Posts
Lol

·
LSX EVERYTHING
7,517 Posts
Im not sure what springs you are using but if you are experiencing the same problem more than once with different brands of camshafts, you could try installing some softer valvesprings for break-in only and re-install the stiffer ones afterwards. Also if you are using a summit brand camshaft, I have had bad experience with those. Actually snapped one in half at about 5500rpm when the cam is rated to 6500. But then again they are only $60 cam only, so what can you expect? you get what you pay for. But good luck and Maybe try using some lighter weight oil. 15W40 sounds like a little too much viscosity for break in. The clearances on cams to cam bearings are tight to begin with so I would go with something like a 10W30 or even 5W30.
Keep us updated!!!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Well it seems like he has dual valve springs already so removing one, like he mentioned, will probably remedy his problem. Good luck! Worst part about breaking crap that should be fine is re-tearing it down! Boo to that!

Alex

·
LSX EVERYTHING
7,517 Posts
Well it seems like he has dual valve springs already so removing one, like he mentioned, will probably remedy his problem. Good luck! Worst part about breaking crap that should be fine is re-tearing it down! Boo to that!

Alex
Word, I thought he ment removing like one whole valvespring...?? didnt really make sense that way lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts