True Street Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello dead forum.

how are you ladies doing?

so yesterday I was diagnosed with an auto-immune disease that affects my thyroid. just wondering if you girls or anyone you know has hashimoto's or hypothyroidism.

been pretty sad but I'm hopeful that meds will keep me healthy. just feel like I want to talk to people about it. :/

·
Premium Member
4,511 Posts
You know I'm always here to talk! When I get health insurance I'm gonna have to have mine tested because it runs in my family.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's a good idea.

I have never had mine tested but doctors have told me all my life that my thyroid is enlarged. luckily the symptoms I've had have been relatively mild - things I attributed to age or just the hand I was dealt. never did I imagine that it would be a disease.

meds for the rest of my life.... and I just started them today. kinda excited/anxious to see what they do for me.

·
Premium Member
4,511 Posts
It's awesome that you have such an optimistic outlook on it!! I'm happy that they figured out something is wrong so they can treat it. :)

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
me too. my endocrinologist is super nice and I feel like no question is stupid. he was patient and made me feel better about it.

btw pregnancy can really mess with your thyroid. so I definitely agree with you getting checked out.

·
Ninja in training ;)
1,115 Posts
oh man im sorry sara :( i had my thyroid tested a couple of times since i had gotten really sick last year. but mine had to do with anxiety. i have what you call social anxiety where i have it all the time :( but i refuse to take meds for mine. im trying to get rid of it all natural and so far its been going good :) it takes awhile to get rid of it. i need a doctor like yours i always ask stupid questions and they usually look at me weird! :/

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh man im sorry sara :( i had my thyroid tested a couple of times since i had gotten really sick last year. but mine had to do with anxiety. i have what you call social anxiety where i have it all the time :( but i refuse to take meds for mine. im trying to get rid of it all natural and so far its been going good :) it takes awhile to get rid of it. i need a doctor like yours i always ask stupid questions and they usually look at me weird! :/
the all-natural route is a great idea. unfortunately I can't really go all-natural but with my diet and vitamins I can do things to help my body and perhaps get on a lower dose of my meds. I'm glad you're doing better and you now know what was making you sick!

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Sara I didn't even see this until today! I actually have Grave's Disease or hyperthyroidism. I have some tumors on my thyroid and I have to monitor it every 6 months or so, but it's not really a big deal now. They wanted to take it out but I told them that as long as the tumors aren't malignant and my thyroid range is about right, that I wanted them to leave it the fuck alone. So, I just have it checked out every so often when I feel anxiety or extra hungry all the time. Do you have to have yours or a part of your thyroid removed?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sara I didn't even see this until today! I actually have Grave's Disease or hyperthyroidism. I have some tumors on my thyroid and I have to monitor it every 6 months or so, but it's not really a big deal now. They wanted to take it out but I told them that as long as the tumors aren't malignant and my thyroid range is about right, that I wanted them to leave it the fuck alone. So, I just have it checked out every so often when I feel anxiety or extra hungry all the time. Do you have to have yours or a part of your thyroid removed?
wow Rachael I had no idea! having tumors has got to be scary. while my thyroid is twice the normal size, they haven't found any tumors. I think when I see my endo next month I might ask if they will do an ultrasound to be sure. they haven't talked about removing any of it because it's just dying anyway so I guess it wouldn't make any difference. are you on any meds? I'm on 75mcg of Levothyroxine daily. I've been on it three weeks and my daily headaches have pretty much gone. I want to cry when I think of how long I had been dealing with those shitty headaches... and all along it was my thyroid. doctors have been telling me since I was little that my thyroid was enlarged. silly silly me.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
I am not on meds right now. My body has regulated my thyroid somehow but I was on antithyroid medication that suppressed it for about a year called methimazole. The medication is really bad for pregnancy where as thyroid meds are more natural like your own thyroid hormone. They say that mine will eventually burn out too but it just runs a little high all the time. I had it checked a few months ago and it was fine! I had a friend with Graves also and she had two miscarriages from it before they realized it was her thyroid. :( Thyroid disease is a pain, but at least it's manageable. For that, I'm thankful!

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am not on meds right now. My body has regulated my thyroid somehow but I was on antithyroid medication that suppressed it for about a year called methimazole. The medication is really bad for pregnancy where as thyroid meds are more natural like your own thyroid hormone. They say that mine will eventually burn out too but it just runs a little high all the time. I had it checked a few months ago and it was fine! I had a friend with Graves also and she had two miscarriages from it before they realized it was her thyroid. :( Thyroid disease is a pain, but at least it's manageable. For that, I'm thankful!
yea I'm glad it's manageable. I was sad when I first found out but I am used to taking my meds and happy that my headaches are mostly gone.

I was reading about the pregnancy thing too. I'm glad that I found out about this before planning to have children. it's really good that you are able to regulate your levels without taking meds!

·
Premium Member
4,511 Posts
I went for my annual on Tuesday and I had totally forgotten about my thyroid but when the doctor and I were talking she said she wanted to check my thyroid because it sounds like it could be the culprit for a lot of my issues I've been feeling recently. I forgot though so I'll have to make another appointment.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went for my annual on Tuesday and I had totally forgotten about my thyroid but when the doctor and I were talking she said she wanted to check my thyroid because it sounds like it could be the culprit for a lot of my issues I've been feeling recently. I forgot though so I'll have to make another appointment.
Definitely have a blood test done so they can check your TSH and T3/T4 levels. That's going to be the best way for them to find out if there is anything going on. Good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts