True Street Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Ex-Nazi
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NHRA.com said:
Wheel Company Founder Weld Dies

Greg Weld, founder of Kansas City, Mo.-based Weld Wheels, died of a heart attack this morning. He was 64.

Weld was known as both a driver and a racing entrepreneur. As a driver, he was a successful competitor in the USAC Series. In 1963, he won sprint-car racing’s big race, the Knoxville Nationals in Knoxville, Iowa. Weld was the 1967 USAC sprint-car champion. He also drove in the Indianapolis 500 in 1970, where he started 28th and finished 32nd. He was voted into the National Sprint Car Hall of Fame in Knoxville.

Founded in 1967, Weld Wheels offered products that were considered by many the best that automobile racers could buy. He also promoted local auto races, including the Jerry Weld Memorial, which attracted national-level drivers.

He is survived by his wife, Deb; sons, Taylor and Brock; daughter, Christian Weld-Brown; sisters, Delores Wesley and Marilyn Burasco; brother, Ricky; and numerous grandchildren, nieces, and nephews.
Hadn't heard anything about this, WTF!

·
Do you even lift?
3,627 Posts
That sucks! Although the Weld quality has gone down in the past few years.
Weld was bought by American Racing. Hence why the quality started going downhill.

Greg Weld starting a new company "Greg Weld Competition Wheels" and the wheels were of great quality. I wanted some of the new ones that had just came out.

Can't believe he passed on.

·
Ex-Nazi
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The new Greg Welds are NOT the quality of the old Welds (not even compared to Draglite or Prostars, which are pretty much crap).

They are decent pieces but are cast, uni-lug, and made in China. Their big positive is that they're cheap, cheap enough for the drawbacks to minimize.

·
Do you even lift?
3,627 Posts
The new Greg Welds are NOT the quality of the old Welds (not even compared to Draglite or Prostars, which are pretty much crap).

They are decent pieces but are cast, uni-lug, and made in China. Their big positive is that they're cheap, cheap enough for the drawbacks to minimize.
Have you seen a new set in person?

I saw a set in person right next to some older Draglites, the new ones were by far better quality wheels. Omar your on crack.

·
Premium Member
6,225 Posts
Well I know back when I bought my draglites, the quality of the lugs and washers were excellent. But recently I bought new lugs and washers from weld, 10 of the washers broke into pieces and 2 lug nuts cracked. They were brand new directly from weld, the old ones are far better quality.

None the less, sucks that he died.

·
Ex-Nazi
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you seen a new set in person?

I saw a set in person right next to some older Draglites, the new ones were by far better quality wheels. Omar your on crack.
Yes I have, test fitted on my coupe and all that. They are bling and cheap. Give me some high end Welds or American Racings or Bogarts.

And "your" on crack!!

·
9 Second Street Machine
5,127 Posts
It is You're as in "you are" not your. Damned guys where are the spelling police when you need them?

Sorry Mr. Weld died. I hate to see anyone pass on who contributed this much to our sport.

·
I'm kind of a big deal...
2,045 Posts
That sux to hear..

·
FUCK FOURLOKO!!
10,258 Posts
Everyone knows that Omar is on crack, if you don't know it you just need to accept it and move on

·
3rd Gear
681 Posts
The wheels look good but the lug pattern is a lil odd, I do think they look better than the the other wheels considering i have had both of them and have the new ones now.

G

·
It is You're as in "you are" not your. Damned guys where are the spelling police when you need them?

Sorry Mr. Weld died. I hate to see anyone pass on who contributed this much to our sport.
Apparently we recruited a new member to the force, I appreciate you lending a hand on keeping this forum safe from bad English.

See you around the Precinct!

10-4 Over and Out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts