True Street Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
DROP WEIGHT!!!
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if you have had a bottle of nitrous sitting around for ten years or somethinkg like that, if it would ever go bad?

·
5th Gear
3,516 Posts
I wouldn't think so because its just nitrogen and oxygen but I don't really know I'm interested too.

Reactions: AKanadian47

·
Makes them go topless
2,955 Posts
Interested in this since I have a full bottle and a half full.

·
.!..
3,251 Posts
If the nitrous itself doesn't breakdown at a molecular level, I'd be wary of the bottle itself. They have certifications that have expiration dates. Once heat for pressure the safety of the bottle let's go and cause some major damage. Read that on tech. The guy lost his legs

·
DROP WEIGHT!!!
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^Now this scares me lol

·
.!..
3,251 Posts
When I get on my computer I'll try and find the thread.

·
Mato Cucarachas
1,906 Posts
If the nitrous itself doesn't breakdown at a molecular level, I'd be wary of the bottle itself. They have certifications that have expiration dates. Once heat for pressure the safety of the bottle let's go and cause some major damage. Read that on tech. The guy lost his legs
Not sure about the gas, but this man speaks the truth. There should be some letters/numbers stamped on the top of the tank near the valve. Google those. Certain tanks are rated for X years, depending on a bunch of factors...

·
Ex-Nazi
2,213 Posts
Rating for the tanks should be for 5 years. Automotive grade nitrous is infused with sulfur dioxide to keep from huffing it, but this shouldn't affect the nitrous. No reason it'll go bad.

And expired bottles aren't anything to worry about, if there's a problem and it's got nitrous in it, it'll explode. If it hasn't yet, then it's fine, just outta date. Pneumatic pressure isn't like liquid pressure, there's no leaking or anything, just a boom (unless it's from the nozzle).

·
Prospective Taiwanese chip maker.
1,135 Posts

This. X2. Some kid I know filled his paintball tank up but the tank was old and the regulator gave out on him which almost caused him to lose his hand. Thank god for the safety release valve.

·
.!..
3,251 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,511 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
I work at a welding supply business and we fill automotive and industrial(automotive grade) nitrous. We have had full nitrous tanks come back that had been filled up to 3+ years ago and I put some through my '07 gt and it hit just as good as the bottle I filled the day before. I am also a certified hydrotester,the stamped number is a test date that is good for 5 years. If it's out of date it will not get filled until it is retested to insure cylinder integrity

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Stuff like this can happen from a filler not putting in the correct safety and unfortunately the cylinder can fail before the safety. Another common problem is using a torch to heat a bottle which compromises the integrity of the aluminum. Aluminum cylinders aren't even supposed to be powder coated due to the curing process of powder coating putting too much heat and changing the molecular structure of aluminum. Also if you own a Luxfer aluminum tank that was produced before 1990,the used the wrong type of aluminum and some tanks of certain serial numbers are supposed to be scrapped,mostly scuba tanks because of the extreme pressures in scuba tanks

·
Mato Cucarachas
1,906 Posts
And expired bottles aren't anything to worry about, if there's a problem and it's got nitrous in it, it'll explode. If it hasn't yet, then it's fine, just outta date. Pneumatic pressure isn't like liquid pressure, there's no leaking or anything, just a boom (unless it's from the nozzle).
I wouldn't consider this sound advice. High Pressure tank safety exists for a reason...

·
DROP WEIGHT!!!
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Im gonna buy 2 20 pound bottles tomorrow that full and are kinda old i just wanna make sure the nitrous still hits fine lol

·
Registered
59 Posts
nitrous oxide is a powerful oxidizer similar to molecular oxygen which means after so long it will basically eat the bottle no matter what it is made of, my guess is after two years of sitting use it or lose it.

·
Registered
967 Posts
QUOTE=Jaeger97SVT;281234]nitrous oxide is a powerful oxidizer similar to molecular oxygen which means after so long it will basically eat the bottle no matter what it is made of, my guess is after two years of sitting use it or lose it.[/QUOTE]

:bsflag: :nx:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts