True Street Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
GetSOM!!!
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so im looking for someone to help enable this ipod i bought from a friend. I got it for a good deal not knowing it was disabled. I was told to restore it but im having problems doing that. Can someone help me figure this out. I wanted to give it to my girlfriend but don't know how to disable it. Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
5,494 Posts
You should just be able to just plug it into your computer, open iTunes and click the "Restore" button. Otherwise, for frozen (bricked) iPod touches:

1) Hold power button and home button down at the same time.
2) When the "Slide to power off" comes up let go of power button.
3) Plug it into iTunes and click restore. It will boot from recovery mode and then restore and you're good to go.

Let me know if this works.

·
GetSOM!!!
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks slobra. i'll try it in a few and update you tonight when i go to work.

·
GetSOM!!!
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Alright bro. I tried recovering. But when i hit restore i get a error saying Software for this ipod is not currently available.Make sure you have the latest version available. Which i do. Its 8.0.2 which is the current version. Oh fyi my software on the ipod is up to date as well. Please help

·
Premium Member
5,494 Posts
Hmm. I think maybe putting it "DFU" mode has something to do with the fix? I don't have a touch so I don't know but apparently there are YouTube videos that show you how to do that. I dunno. Also check out this quote I found at http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1741911&tstart=0:

This happened to me as well but I found out by accident that when doing a hard reset (holding sleep and home buttons together) that it took my 2G 32GB iPod touch literally 10-15 minutes to restart itself after seeming to freeze at the Apple logo. In fact, I had tried to put it into DFU mode and got the same "software not installed" error in iTunes then did the hard reset and decided to wait. Then ~ 15 minutes later the iPod Touch started up like nothing had happened and I was able to do a restore in iTunes although it probably wasn't necessary but I decided to do one anyway. My iPod Touch has worked great since then.

Needless to say, I made a suggestion to Apple through their feedback link that they need to have either a spinning circle or progress bar at that Apple logo screen so people don't think that they're bricked.

I would try plugging your iPod Touch into a wall outlet adapter (USB may work but I didn't want it connected to the computer at all) or make sure you have a full battery then do a hard reset and wait a while, at least 30 minutes to an hour to see if it restarts itself then do a restore (optional) to be on the safe side. Hopefully that will work for you like it did for me.

·
GetSOM!!!
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank man. I'll give the hard reset a shot. I don't know if i informed you but the ipod is also locked out by a code. I don't know if that makes a difference. I can still access it in recover mode on itunes but thats it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts