True Street Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
E85 veteran
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been having problems with the clutch on my Supra for some time now. The clutch does not slip and it is normal taking off, but it has problems when I shift gears. It feels like I am not pressing in the clutch all the way and I have to force the shifter into gear.

I tried bleeding it a couple times I also replaced the master cylinder. After replacing the master I messed with the pedal adjustments and it feels a little better but after being hard on it it seems to go back to the old feeling. Ive also had the pedal stick to the floor a few times and sometimes after being hard on it it is impossible to put into gear. I have to shut off the car put it in first start from there. But then it will work just hard to put into gear.

I though of replacing the slave also but I wonder if it could be a pilot or throw out bearing possibly? I do know the clutch is getting on the worn side as the engagement is very high on the pedal and the material is getting thin when I checked the inspection holes. I am trying to keep from replacing the clutch becasue money has been tight. But I would think if the clutch was going bad it would be slipping, which it is not. Could it be a pressure plate disk? The clutch I have is a HKS triple disk and from what I understand the rebuild kit has a pressure plate disk the bolts on. Here is a picture. Note some of the pictures are of the twin plate clutch mine is the triple which is the same but with one additional clutch plate and floater.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cisco

·
E85 veteran
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cisco you should pull the clutch out so you can inspect better, could be the presure plate
I was about to the other night. But If I pull it out I am going to rebuild it for sure and I want to see If I can get away without doing that so I can get the fuel system beefed up first to handle E85. I think the clutch still has some life and I am low on funds lol.

·
Premium Member
1,859 Posts
If it is not the hydraulics/pedal adjustment, (seems you have covered that), it could be the pilot bearing or the clutch disks have been worn/hot enough to make big waves in the steel faces causing the clutch to not release when the pedal is replaced. I would put my money on time for a clutch rebuild.

·
Phantom
222 Posts
Very similar shit happened to me in the DSM, turned out to be my TOB was in pieces. Good luck man

·
FUCK FOURLOKO!!
10,258 Posts
I guess you haven't fixed this problem yet Cisco? Hope you have checked the tob by now.

You always claim money is tight lol

·
E85 veteran
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Only thing that I need to try is to lubricate the input shaft but I am going to try a slave and to see if I can lubricate it while its together (which will be hard). Then if it does not work Ill just rebuild it and replace everything.

·
BITCH, I look like goku.
887 Posts
let's plan a saturday and we can do it right, on a lift at the shop

·
Registered
226 Posts
IF the clutch sticks to the floor thats a hydrolic problem, probably didnt tighten a bleeder valve all the way. have yo rebuilt both the slave and master cylinder?

·
E85 veteran
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I replaced the master, slave and bleed it over and over. Yesterday I was at Wal Mart and the car would not start (battery I think) I was pissed and attempted to beat on it all the way home. It stayed stuck in 2nd gear and pressing the clutch did nothing. So I know what ever is messed up is finally totally done. I am planning ot pulling the tranny tomorrow so lets see.

·
5th Gear
7,052 Posts
Is the clutch staying engaged? With the car off can you change gears and what not?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I replaced the master, slave and bleed it over and over. Yesterday I was at Wal Mart and the car would not start (battery I think) I was pissed and attempted to beat on it all the way home. It stayed stuck in 2nd gear and pressing the clutch did nothing. So I know what ever is messed up is finally totally done. I am planning ot pulling the tranny tomorrow so lets see.
It can be pretty frustrating, it could probably use a new clutch anyway. good luck with it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts