True Street Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
E85 veteran
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got some weird problems going on. I just recently got my car running after doing some work to it. Here is what I did. Replaced lots of seals ect, installed HKS 272 cams, added PHR valve springs, and some wiring (relocated my fuse box to back of car).

Anyway I got the car running one week before TX2K9 and I didn't get on the car much. I did notice it was building around 1.2-1.3 bar with the boost control set all the way to low. (I have an HKS EVC 6 boost control) I did not think much of it. Ive noticed that the car will sometimes make 1.1 bar set low but at times it will make a little more. I always assumed it was just the cold air ect...

So then when I get to TX2K9 I start to drive the car more aggressively. I notice that its over boosting. It looks like boost creep. In 2nd gear it hits 1.1 bar then pauses for a second, then slowly it build up to 1.3 bar. I go into 3rd and it does the same, hits 1.1 for a second then it slowly climbs but this time up to 1.5 bar.

I double check the boost control and how its hooked up. The boost control solenoid is clicking and sounds like its operating. I just leave it at that. I was planning on running race gas the following night and Ill figure out the problem later when I get back home.

So I add race gas and go to turn up the boost. I set it at 1.8 and again I get the same results. 2nd gear 1.1 then creeps to 1.3, 3rd 1.1 then creeps to 1.5, 4th it creeps again but this time it seems less then in 3rd gear. I set the boost control to 2.0 bar and it does not raise the boost, does the same thing. I replace all the vacuum lines and still same problem. I bypass the boost control and hook the wastegate up directly and still the exact same problems. I pull the vaccum hose on the side of the wastegate and it immediately hits 2.0 bar and I back off the gas. So I know the wastegate is working.

Now that I'm back home I drive the car and its doing the same thing. Its not hitting 1.5 bar but its creeping It hit 1.3 bar but I never had room to get into a higher gear to see hwo high it would go. I do know that it still will not let me raise the boost. I set it at 1.8 bar and am only getting 1.3 like before. I took off the wastegate to inspect the diaphragm for tears leaks ect. Its looks fine. I hold the diaphragm down and blow into the side port and it pulls the valve up. I keep blowing and I dont hear any leaks.

BTW the wastegate is a Tial 46mm with a 0.7 bar spring (big red)

Could the HKS cams cause this boost creep? If it can it still does not explain why I cant raise the boost with the boost control. I am out of ideas of what to check or what it can be. I might try and get my hands on a manual boost control to see what it does.

This is the manifold. I think it was custom built by Toyomoto and Ive yet to see another like it.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated. Sorry about the long read jsut wnated to get all the information in there.

Cisco

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
My white mustang was doing that due to an exhaust leak on my turbo side header. It had some holes in the collector that I did not notice, guess something with it drawing extra oxygen during pulsation and loosing boost when under a load was causing it to make inconsistent boost and creep.

·
5th Gear
7,052 Posts
Cisco, my car did the same thing, and as far as I know ended up being the solenoid on the BC. There was no other explanation. I have a manual bc laying around. Let me know if you wanna borrow it. Might as well toss it on and mess with it and see if it will raise/lower boost. If it does, you know your problem is in the controller, and more than likely the solenoid.

·
BITCH, I look like goku.
887 Posts
i think that he ran the comp to the bottom side of the gate to eliminate all that, it still creeped. my money is on a leak somewhere or mani design...fuck it , turn it up and dont worry about it ;)

·
E85 veteran
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I borrowed a manual boost control and installed it. It works, it controls boost. I really hope I can figure out the problem with my electronic boost control. Damn thing was around $500. Its an HKS EVC 6

After I did all the wiring on the car I had one little problem. The boost control, and FJO wideband would shut off for a second if I hit a bump or just randomly. I assumed it was a loose ground. The FJO, boost control, and Rush anti lag are all sharing the same ground which is then grounded on a screw on the body. It did not appear to be loose but I re did it with a larger gauge wire anyway.

After I did that Ive noticed it would shut off randomly still but its only done it like 3 times and Ive put about 2500 miles on it. The way it was before was like 10 times in the couple hundred miles of driving.

I wonder if this could be causing the boost control to act up. Anther thing I did was I installed the boost control solenoid in a hotter area in the engine bay. It use to be behind the passenger side headlight and now its closer to the passenger side firewall. I know with the turbo and exhaust there its getting hotter but I would think its made to handle that. Plus when its cold it still does the same thing.

The boost creep I think is caused by the more flow I got with the HKS cams. Here its only creeping to 1.3 so Ill deal with it later.

·
FUCK FOURLOKO!!
10,258 Posts
Trey's EBoost 2 did the same thing and that wasn't exactly a cheap boost controller.

·
Bavarian Murder Weapon
3,360 Posts
Thats weird if its the boost cotroller. Do you have it on an auto setting or manual mode? I have the Blitz SBC-iD Spec R and that was 500 bones as well. I noticed that when I left it in automode because I had not learned how to use it yet, it would creep on me and it would be all over the place. It was trying to learn based on driving style and a bunch of other shit. I switched it over to manual mode and just messed with the "Gain" and "Set Gain" and it fixed my problem right away. I am not sure if the HKS unit works similar or not though.

·
Turbobeaner
2,307 Posts
Wow thats not cool that the boost controler is doing that. Glad that manual one gave you more info. I dont know why i only like manual boost controlers

·
Premium Member
1,859 Posts
It is the cams. The more power (air/fuel) the motor is using the more the flaws in any system will show their ugly head. I am thinking its the wastegate/manifold. My integra would do the same thing on low boost. Larger turbine housings tend to do the same thing., wen teh gate/placement is not the best. It is easier to go through the turbine than the gate on lower boost. The car would make 11 psi creep to 14 on the 7 lb spring. but at 24 psi it would hold steady. That's my theory anyway.

The black supra drops boost with the gate unplugged and on top of the gate. Bottom of the gate holds steady at 14-15 psi. Time for a bigger turbo and some spray.

·
Boosted Bartender!
786 Posts
Not trying to thread bite but more wanting to educate myself. The turbo stuff is still new to me. My tuner has my boost cut set at 18psi but in 6th gear at high boost Im always cutting out. Whats the best solution? Do you raise the boost cut or do you risk more by doing so? Its almost more annoying than anything. Is this the same as your issue Cisco? Can someone chicken-soup this for me?

·
Premium Member
1,859 Posts
He can move the boost cut up a bit. I generally don't use boost cut. Some say it will save your engine, but honestly if a person can't tell 15 psi from 30 then there are more things to worry about protecting. With turbo cars the more you load the engine the more exhaust energy you create. The more exhaust energy you create, the more the turbine will spin and/or gate will bypass.

·
E85 veteran
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I took apart the boost control solenoid and found what looks to be the problem. One of the resistors wire is broken. Only way this could have happened is faulty equipment used. I called HKS and they basically said I am screwed and to buy another $500 boost control. I am sure this can be repaired but I have no experience doing circuit board stuff. Any info or help would be appreciated. Here is the pic, I circled the wire that is broken.

·
Turbobeaner
2,307 Posts
You rolling on that manual controler for the time being? Does keith know any of that shit?

·
E85 veteran
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
BITCH, I look like goku.
887 Posts
lemme roll by and check it out. i bet we can fix that bitch. i put bulbs in a non serviceable gm cluster once... was a bitch, but i got'er done.

·
E85 veteran
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have some electrical engineer guys that I am sure could fix it for super cheap.
Ya get me in contact with them. I am sure its an easy fix but I don't want to be trying it for the first time on a $500 part.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts