True Street Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Suck It Sucka
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know if I need to install a cut off switch because my battery is mounted in the trunk? I heard that I need one if I am going to race my car at a drags. And if I do need the switch where is a good place to mount it?

·
Old slow and broke
1,119 Posts
Yes you need a switch. If you don't have a rear fire wall you'll also need a battery box. I recommend the push type switch. It allows for easier mounting and you don't have to cut a big hole to push the rod out of the trunk.

Later,

Greg

·
Ex-Nazi
2,213 Posts
As Greg said, you absolutely have to have it.

Do you know how to wire it up?

·
Suck It Sucka
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Um I got everything mounted up as far as a battery box I just need the switch. And to answer buffhomer No I dont it shouldn't be that hard but then again I have never installed one. Can you enlighten me please.

·
Suck It Sucka
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where can I get one here in town?

·
Suck It Sucka
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can I put it in the back inner fender or does it have to go on the trunk?

·
Ex-Nazi
2,213 Posts
It has to be in the rear of the car and clearly labeled. No specific location is mentioned in the rules.

What year is your car?

·
Ex-Nazi
2,213 Posts
Hm, well I don't know how the charging circuit is set up in that year of Mustang. What you need to do is run the (+) charging wire from the alternator along with the battery (+) to one side of the switch, then run a cable from the other side of the switch back up to your power distribution point (where the alternator charging wire would normally go).

The switch has to a) kill the car if it's running and b) prevent the car from starting. By the letter of the rules it has to "cut off all power" from the electrical charging circuit. By putting the alternator charge and battery positive wire on the same side of the switch, when you shut it off any source of power for the car is cut off.

·
Suck It Sucka
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hm, well I don't know how the charging circuit is set up in that year of Mustang. What you need to do is run the (+) charging wire from the alternator along with the battery (+) to one side of the switch, then run a cable from the other side of the switch back up to your power distribution point (where the alternator charging wire would normally go).

The switch has to a) kill the car if it's running and b) prevent the car from starting. By the letter of the rules it has to "cut off all power" from the electrical charging circuit. By putting the alternator charge and battery positive wire on the same side of the switch, when you shut it off any source of power for the car is cut off.
Cool I will have to get that in for sure. Do you have a preference on switches? For example I have seen some key types.

·
Ex-Nazi
2,213 Posts
Needs to be easy to work just in case something happens at the track. If it's a push/pull type then it needs to be 'push' to turn it off. I use the Summit disconnect switch and hide it behind the license plate. At the track just pull the plate off so it's visible. I know that's not an option on your car so you'll have to decide on what kind to use and how to mount it.

·
Suck It Sucka
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Needs to be easy to work just in case something happens at the track. If it's a push/pull type then it needs to be 'push' to turn it off. I use the Summit disconnect switch and hide it behind the license plate. At the track just pull the plate off so it's visible. I know that's not an option on your car so you'll have to decide on what kind to use and how to mount it.
Cool thank you for the advice I need to get it done ASAP if I want to run on Sat.

·
Suck It Sucka
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
you will also need to buy a fire jacket because you have a turbo car
What the F*** for, I ran last year and all I remember them saying I needed to run again was the switch.

·
TSC ******
720 Posts
What the F*** for, I ran last year and all I remember them saying I needed to run again was the switch.
You need a jacket if you run faster then a 13.99 with an aftermarket turbo. and you will need a helmet cuz you have a vert.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts