True Street Cars Forums banner

Air Port Drag Racing in Las Vegas NM

2K views 42 replies 23 participants last post by  QTRPNDR 
#1 ·
Me and my father Benny Sr. are part of the Rough Rider Motorcycle Rally Committee. Josef Jaureguiberry and some other local racers and us here at the shop have been wanting a "Legal" all out drag racing event for quite some time now. Since we have to get number of items approved for the rally through The City of Las Vegas council we figured that we could add this as an event to request prior to the rally. The issue has been discussed through the rally members and we figured we could use it as a fund Raiser for the rally to pay for bands and that sort of expences.

So what I need to know is more or less see how many people/cars/ bikes/ whatever... would come to the event if passed through the city council. We need to this info in order to form a proposal. Also what sort of equipment we would need, And what would be a reasonable fee to charge drivers

#4 ·
Well im sure if we were to get it cleared that we would spray some sort of traction down the airport pavement is actually nice. LOL I was checking out the pavement when I went to buy some Aviation Gas

G
#5 ·
so its going to be just like the drag strip it sounds like, i pay 15 bucks there so i guess i would pay around 25 to race on the street how long is this airport you guys have and what kind of speeds will it support

#6 ·
The longest run way is 1.5 miles and 75 feet wide and the smaller length is about 200ft less than a mile and 75ft wide. I think that is enough?

#8 ·
Im sure we could use the bigger length I dont think it be a problem, but all of these details will sure help out when making the proposal.

#12 ·
Well there is not a date set in stone yet that would be pending approval first. Once the estimated head count is in and an estimated cost is established then a proposal can be made. The next city council meeting will be around the second week of Febuary so if things go well it could be presented then and if it is approved, which there is good chance it will because of the revenue it will genereate in the city, a date will be set and advertising will begin. The rally is July 24-26 here is the web site http://www.roughridermotorcyclerally.com/index2.html

The drag race would probably be before then. The rally is cool shit tho. This year we are trying to get the dude with the bike dyno drags trailor down, which would be free of charge to run a bike on and some stunt guys

#18 ·
Guaranteed i'ld be there as well.. I have family up in Las Vegas. And i wouldn't mind paying $25 either.

#19 ·
As a drag race event I think it would be hard to pull the Alb people up there. As a standing mile thing I think it would bring a lot of people. You would need some sort of timing equipment and enough shutdown area. The standing mile would be tons of fun and have a lot of appeal to the street car people.

Sean

#20 ·
Im in let me know josef, and benny....

#23 · (Edited)
#24 ·
What could we use to measure 1/4 mile times? Do they sell a not so expensive tree system? Would it be a good idea to have race gass to sell there?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.