True Street Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just found this site yesterday, saw that most of the stuff is local so I figured I'd sign up. Right now I have one real car, one project car, and a bike.

My car is an 87 RX7 TII. I just picked it up last year, replacing my Miata. Since then I have been fixing stuff from the previous owners and upgrading stuff along the way. First was the brakes, they had slowly been losing fluids then one day pedal went straight to the floor. Turned out the seals were gone in both rear calipers. So got some new ones, along with new rotors and pads. One of the previous owners had already installed Goodridge braided brake lines. I went with Brembo blanks and Hawk HP+ pads. Bad decision. I went with the HP+ because I had previously had HPSs on the Miata and loved them, and wanted to try out some autocross sometime in the RX7. They stop fine, but whenever I am slowing from about 20 MPH or below I sound like a train stopping.

After fixing the brakes I stayed like that for a few months, until I stopped making boost back in January. At that point I started taking it apart finding many fun things to do along the way. I decided to delete the emissions while everything was apart. Getting rid of the air pump allowed me to make a straight intake, opposed to the 3 90* bends in the stock one to wind around it. Since the air pump was gone I could get rid of the cat. With the cat gone I might as well get a whole new exhaust, so I got a 3" turboback.

With the manifolds and everything off, and the emissions removed, I had to get the wastegate ported since I am still running stock turbo and didn't want to boost creep to hell. While it was apart I figured I'd fix my flooding problem and get my injectors cleaned. Had them sent back, turns out someone had swapped the secondaries (normally 550s) for 720s, but for some reason the rest of the car had been stock still. I was going to buy 720s anyways so that was a nice surprise. I took out my ECU and sent it off to Rtek to get chipped for the bigger injectors and to remove the fuel cut the stock ECU has at 9 psi. I also put in the Walbro to give extra fuel to the injectors. I had put the MSD on a while back.

Once I got the turbo back from Speedlab (for the wastegate porting) I removed my broken twin scroll system and ported the smaller runner in the turbine housing to match the larger one. Putting everything back together I replaced the stock plastic BPV with a BOV to handle the extra boost.

Put everything back together, and took apart due a leaking gasket, and put back together, and broke a stud on the coolant line (also led me to find a blown o-ring that had been causing my coolant consumption), and took it out to get drilled out, and put it back together again and finally got it running again the day before yesterday. Fixed my idle last night. Still only giving 8 psi right now, so I need to see if anything is leaking or I just need to put in a boost controller and turn it up a little. I want to be at about 11 psi since I still have the TMIC for now and it can't handle much more than that.

These pictures are from before all the work, still need to take some after shots, not much different though. Also still need to get that dent taken out of the fender.

On to the bike, its a 2004 Yamaha FZ6. Performance-wise it is stock for now. I put frame sliders on when I first bought it, and they saved most of the bike when I wrecked in January. I put on a fender eliminator and replaced all the turn signals since the stock stuff was huge. I have R6 forks and brakes, and CBR1100XX clipons sitting in my living room for me to install now that the 7 is running again. I plan on swapping sprockets sometime too, probably over the summer.

Finally I have my project car. I just got this a month or so ago as something to tinker with as I go to school (taking mechanic courses down at CNM, they don't cover rotary engines so I figure I can practice on this). Picked it up for a couple hundred bucks.

It is a 1986 Isuzu Impulse Turbo. I have a weakness for 80s cars, add to it that this is turboed (still only 140 hp though :lol:), and more importantly a RWD hatchback, and I couldn't help myself. It's pretty beat up; I plan on replacing the front seats and reupholstering the rear bench. It runs but has to be push started, and the old owner disconnected the cat from the catback for some reason so I need to bolt it back together.

Sorry for the longest first post ever, just figured this way I wouldn't have to make a separate post about it elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
Interesting rides... Welcome!

·
GetSOM!!!
1,460 Posts
Welcome...

·
Bavarian Murder Weapon
3,360 Posts
Willkommen!

·
Banned
2,987 Posts
Rio Rancho eh? Maybellene is looking for you!

:driving:

·
Ah kitty kitty
2,192 Posts
Welcome..

·
P.S.I. IS KING
191 Posts
That Isuzu is GANG-STAR!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts