True Street Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a 2000 mustang GT with 14th miles on it. Knowing it pry wouldn't last long I bought on 3 performances 2v forward facing turbo kit. The engine was 100% stock with untouched 2v heads. Once the kit was on I took the car to Dyno Edge to have it dyno tuned by Chris Groves. The first pull made 357 rwhp and 382 tq on 10.3 lbs. Every pull had an increase of power and tq . After the 7th pull I guess it was I decided to stop there as the car made 452 hp 514 tq on 11 lbs. After about a month and a half the engine blew up driving down the freeway. When I got the car home lifted it up and had a look under it I noted a couple of holes in the oil pan telling me I threw a rod. I'm now going to build a 5.4 4v which will also be turbocharged and looking for 800 hp. so far I have a sVT lightning block and crank 4v 03 cobra heads, and will be ordering modmax have beam rods and Manley flat top pistons.

·
3rd Gear
993 Posts
Do not do a 5.4L 4V swap. I helped put one together and everything about it is a nightmare. For less money, a Mach 1 swap is a better deal. Ideally, a Coyote swap is the best thing to do right now.

·
1st Gear
623 Posts
Do not do a 5.4L 4V swap. I helped put one together and everything about it is a nightmare. For less money, a Mach 1 swap is a better deal. Ideally, a Coyote swap is the best thing to do right now.
What kind of issues did you run into with the 5.4 swap. I'm debating on doing one in a 03 cobra twin turbo.

·
زنجي الر
3,361 Posts
Prepare your shoehorn. Everything in there gets TIGHT. Also, what are you going to use for an intake manifold? You'll also have to change a lot of pipes on your turbo kit.

·
3rd Gear
993 Posts
To the OP,
Plug and play swap my ass. First off all, it's a 2V to 4V swap. The wiring is involved and you have to use as many 2V sensor as you can. The COPs are different and wired differently. The cooling setup is different. The exhaust manifold are different. Now for the 5.4 aspect, what intake manifold do you plan to run? With Cobra heads, I assume 99-04, you will have to use adapter plates. if the car is a stick, good luck with that clutch cable! We had to run ~1" of spacers on the k-member to clear the clutch cable. What timing cover do you plan to use? You are basically left with a 4V Navigator unit.

Mike,
See my post above for key points. Having seen some of your projects, I think you will be fine. IMO, still not worth the effort though..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ill be using a Sullivan Performance DOHC 4v intake manifold just with a 90° plenum be the same style as the 2v ones but metal of course instead of the garbage plastic ford uses from factory!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
To the OP,
Plug and play swap my ass. First off all, it's a 2V to 4V swap. The wiring is involved and you have to use as many 2V sensor as you can. The COPs are different and wired differently. The cooling setup is different. The exhaust manifold are different. Now for the 5.4 aspect, what intake manifold do you plan to run? With Cobra heads, I assume 99-04, you will have to use adapter plates. if the car is a stick, good luck with that clutch cable! We had to run ~1" of spacers on the k-member to clear the clutch cable. What timing cover do you plan to use? You are basically left with a 4V Navigator unit.

Mike,
See my post above for key points. Having seen some of your projects, I think you will be fine. IMO, still not worth the effort though..
i believe the COPs are the same im not 100 positive but i know the wiring is the same still use the same connectors!

·
زنجي الر
3,361 Posts
4v COP has reverse polarity. The deck height of the 5.4 is taller, thus having to change a lot of your piping.

·
زنجي الر
3,361 Posts
Honestly, your best bet would be to just build the 4.6, or buy a built shortblock. I know of a stock 04 cobra shortblock for sale for a good price in ABQ. You will be up and running much faster, and making plenty of power.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Honestly, your best bet would be to just build the 4.6, or buy a built shortblock. I know of a stock 04 cobra shortblock for sale for a good price in ABQ. You will be up and running much faster, and making plenty of power.
How much and can i get the guys number? My 4.6 has holes in the block and cylinder and crank is toast so cant reuse anything

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.